Why my left eye is lower than my right? (photo)

Doctor Answers 4

Why my left eye is lower than my right? (enophthalmos, hypoglobus)

Your left eye does appear to be more sunken (enophthalmols) and lower (hypoglobus). Most common cause is inherited but if the problem is getting worse, then need to look at other causes such as silent sinus syndrome or previous orbital trauma. See an oculoplastic specialist. May need CT scan of your orbits. See following link.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Why is left eye lower than right?

Some people can develop weakness in one of the muscles of the upper eyelid and this is called ptosis.  When this occurs, the upper eyelid will fall lower across the eyeball than normal.  This problem can be repaired with surgery.  Your photo does not show any obvious ptosis, but it is possible it could be present in a mild form.  An examination could determine if you have any ptosis or not.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon, or a facial plastic or plastic surgeon that has experience with ptosis repair.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews



There are many things that can cause the uneven or asymmetric appearance you are seeing.  First it is important to determine if the bony structure around the eye or the tissue behind the eye has been changing.  This could cause one eye to look sunken or the other to look prominent.  You have some asymmetry in the soft tissue or the eyelid itself and this can cause one to look asymmetric.

The first step is to seek an opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon as to the cause of the asymmetry and make sure it is not behind the eye.  But yes there are many options depending upon the cause

Raymond S. Douglas, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Left eye lower than right

In the photograph, there is a slight head tilt toward the right with the eyes rotated a few degrees to the left. This makes it difficult to appreciate any difference in the position of the eyes. A clearer photograph in primary gaze would be helpful. You may want to consult with an oculoplastic surgeon if the ocular/ orbital asymmetry is bothersome to you. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.