Anyone have experal with their BA?

I'm a big baby when it comes to pain and my doc recommended experal to me. Has anyone else used it for BA? Did it work well?

Exparel for a breast aug

Exparel is definitely a beneficial injection medication given at the time of surgery that has a reducing effect in the discomfort. It costs around $700-$800 so most of my patients, when offered the medication, rather avoid the extra cost. I add a pain reduction cocktail into the operative site and perform a no-touch technique while elevating the implant pocket which significantly reduces the pain. Options are available if you don't want to pay the extra cost. Good luck!

Exparel for breast augmentation

Exparel is a FABULOUS adjunct to breast augmentation and abdominoplasties. It should be injected by an experienced surgeon and if done correctly, it can be a tremendous modality. It lasts about three days and makes the most uncomfortable post surgical days extremely tolerable. This is especially useful in patients who get nauseated from most oral pain meds, for patients who have a chronic opiate dependency, for patients who need really high dose of pain meds in order to be comfortable, and for patient who, because of work related needs or family requirement, need to be really alert in the ensuing days post op. Well worth the costs!!

Exparel is a fantastic adjunct for elective cosmetic procedures and works brilliantly in breast augmentation cases. It's more costly but many patients say it's so worth it!
Be well and good luck. 

Exparal and Breast augmentation

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern. Exparal is a costly but effective medication that delivers numbing for 72 hrs. this 3 days are the most painful stages after any surgery. There are other techniques that when use appropriately allows my patients to resume normal activities in 3 days. 
Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Anyone have experal with their BA?

It is a great medication and I do feel that it gets my patients up and moving much much faster after surgery because it works so well. It does cost more but it is well worth it. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Does experal work well?

Yes!  Experal is a great tool to significantly reduce pain.  I use either Experal or an On-Q pain pump on every breast augmentation patient. I try to have patients feeling fairly good by 48 hours following their surgeries.  I use a combination of numbing medicine, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, and standard pain meds.  This, coupled with early movement, allows patients to feel almost back to normal in just a few days.  Hope this helps.  Good luck. 

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon