What are complications of and success rates of breast reduction/lift surgeries post lumpectomy/radiation?

I had stage 1 ductal carcinoma in my right breast treated with lumpectomy and 20 radiation treatments 8 years ago. My right breast is at least 1 cup size smaller than my left breast and sits about 1 inch higher. My current bra size is 36 F to 36 G. I would like to have smaller perkier and evenly sized breasts. Also, do you have pictures of women who have had this done?

Breast reduction after radiation

HelloThis is a great question. Many women experience significant breast asymmetry after breast cancer treatment and in some cases, breast reductions and lifts can be a good solution. The radiated side will have to be treated with caution, as the radiation does damage blood supply and can cause the tissue to be more stiff and difficult to work with. For that reason, reductions on previously radiated breasts must be done very carefully and conservatively. The risk of complications can be higher, including skin or tissue necrosis, poor healing, fluid collections, and prolonged swelling. However, with careful planning, most women do well.It would be important to be examined in person by an experienced plastic surgeon who has worked with radiated breast tissue and can help you determine if breast reduction can be safely done in your case.
Best wishes-

Unfortunately the radiation significantly damages the blood flow to any tissues that were radiated making surgery high risk for soft tissue death. Best to leave the radiated breast alone.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD