I'm, male, 35 and have puffy chest, with fat accumulated in my pectoral muscles. What are my options?

Puffy chest, man boobs

Doctor Answers 7

Are You a Candidate For Male Breast Reduction Surgery

It's not easy to determine without an in-person #consultation. However, if you are a #candidate, there are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Puffy Chest

Thank you for your question. You may have a breast bud needing excision, and also some liposuction may be needed. I have failed to see good results without using ultrasonic liposuction. The dense fat on a male chest is hard to just aspirate. Some ultrasonic help is needed. The Vaser performs well for us. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Surgical Correction of Puffy Chest with Fat

The accumulation of fat is not the only reason for a puffy chest, most of the times, there is excess breast tissue (fibro glandular tissues) that causes this female-like breast condition in men. Hence, the removal of fat alone may not be helpful and excision of fibro glandular tissue may be required to cure this completely (also permanently). Find a board certified plastic surgeon and consult about the problem in detail. All the best.

R. K. Mishra, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Depends on the diagnosis and goals…

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Happy New Year!

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,488 reviews

Could be gynecomastia, difficult to tell without exam

Hello Abhibhat, Thanks for your question. If you like many men have excess fatty tissue in the chest/breast area this can often be treated with liposuction (usually ultrasound or other) if you have dense breast tissue under the nipple/areola this may need to be cut out. I would seek out a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who has performed numerous gynecomastia cases and can discuss your area of concern and the options for treatment as well as if a endocrine work-up is in order.  Regards,  Dr. Joseph Eby

Joseph B. Eby, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Puffy chest, fat accumulation

I agree with my colleague, find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeo to help you understand your anatomy and what options you have in addressing your concerns.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD ,FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Puffy chest, fat accumulation

Thanks for your inquiry.  Nonsurgical options include trying diet and exercise to reduce your overall body fat, which may also improve the appearance of your chest.  Surgical options include liposuction of your chest, or excision of the fatty tissue which is a male breast reduction for gynecomastia.  A plastic surgeon will be able to tell you whether you are a good candidate for surgery.

William Andrade, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.