Unhappy with male breast reduction result, will it improve with tummy tuck?

I had mastectomy 8 weeks ago and I'm unhappy with my result - is it typical? I'm scheduled for a tummy tuck in 2 months, my plastic surgeon told me this would further improve my chest, which she thinks to look good right now. I don't understand why she didn't add liposuction right away, yet suggested doing it as separate procedure if needed? I also wonder if my nipples will end up to low, as she didn't move them and the tummy tuck is supposed to pull my skin down? Thank you very much!

When to Consider a Revision to Gynecomastia Surgery

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process following #Gynecomastia surgery . For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. 

Breast reduction

A tummy tuck will not help you.  It is possible that liposuction could improve your result.  You do have some skin excess that may require additional skin removal.  

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the photos and you appear to have been a candidate for liposuction to the chest and axillary from the start to get the desired result

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Gynecomastia

Based on the pictures posted, you will benefit from liposuction of the breast and lateral chest area.Tummy tuck will not improve your breast

Male Breast Reduction

thank you for your question and photos. You are correct that liposuction should improve the contour of your chest and make it flatter. Was liposuction done also at the time of your original operation? If the tummy tuck does pull down the kin and nipple around the chest area this can be fixed. It is difficult to predict before the procedure how much lowering of the crease will happen . Best of luck.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon