Will a preexisting scar affect breast implants? (Photos)

I have a scar between my collar bone and the top of one of my breast. I have had it since I was a baby. They put a broviac catheter in just in case I needed a blood transfusion as I was premature. Will my scar affect the look of my breast if I get implants?

Your scar may change as a result of breast augmentation

I would say that the scar is more likely to change as a result of breast augmentation than it is to alter the appearance of the augmented breasts.  This type of scar on ladies is very common, actually, as we often see indwelling catheters, like Broviacs and Port-A-Caths for illnesses like cancer requiring frequent or strong medications.  What we usually see is the weight of the breasts creating some tension in the scar in this location, and the scar may widen a bit as a result of this.  Your scar is old, and it is mature and stable, thus, it may not change much.  The rest of the surrounding skin may simply stretch to accommodate the new implant volume normally, and the scar may remain virtually unaffected.  Any effect of the implants on the scar will be more with larger or higher profile implants, thus, I would suggest that you consider the most modest size or projection of breast implant that you think you would be satisfied with, if maintaining your current scar appearance is a top priority for you.  That way, you'll minimize any risk that the scar may be affected.  Anatomically shaped implants may be a good option to consider, too, as they will produce nice fullness in the lower parts of the breast with less projection in the upper part, and thus, less stress directly on the scar.  Be sure that you consult with properly trained and certified plastic surgeons who have lots of experience in breast surgery of all types.  They will be able to evaluate not only your breasts, but your scar as well, and they will be able to provide all of your options and help you determine which one would be best for your special case.  Good luck.

Breast Augmentation and Prior Scar

While it is true that scars (depending on age, location and quality) can be affected by augmentation, this is highly unlikely to be an issue in your case. A well healed and mature scar is unlikely to affect breast augmentation. 

One point to consider, is that while the surgery will be unaffected by the surgery, a patient may perceive changes in post augmentation. An augmentation is like placing a magnifying glass over the breast. Patients may become more aware of scars, birth marks, pigmentary variations and prominent veins post operatively. While these things have not in fact changed, patients may feel they are more noticeable on a larger canvas.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Scar and Breast Implants

From your photo, it doesn't appear that there would be an issue with a breast augmentation. Some scars can widen with the stretch of the tissues. But, a long-standing, mature scar should not change even with the new stretch of the skin.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Pre-existing scar

Thank you for your question.   A scar on the breast will not necessarily affect your outcome from breast augmentation, but it depends on its location, size, whether it is tethered to deeper tissues, etc.  If you seen an opinion of an experienced surgeon they will be able to do a proper exam and give specific advice.

Will a preexisting scar affect breast implants?

No, I do not think that the existing scar will affect the look of your breasts after breast augmentation surgery. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Scar prior to Augmentation

Thank you for your question.   Your scar should not affect the placement of your implants or cause any issue to the shape of your breast.   The scar may stretch a bit depending on the size of your implant placed.   All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD