I'm from Germany and I had my surgery 3 days before. It's extremely swollen. Is this normal? (Photos)

My labia Looks awful and im worried that my doctor did a mistake. Im so worried

Swollen after labiaplasty

Swelling is normal after Labiaplasty, but this seems greater than usual. Communicate with your surgeon regarding your concerns and advice on keeping swelling to a minimum. I recommend to my patients limited activity, rest, ibuprofen (NSAID) and ice to the area for 15 minutes of every hour for relief.  The technique used doesn't matter at this point. Don't rush to judgment, yet, on whether you'll need revision. You'll be amazed at how better things look as the swelling goes down. Best of luck,  

Denver Urogynecologist

I'm from Germany and I had my surgery 3 days before. It's extremely swollen. Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I agree that your have a moderate amount of swelling after surgery that is normal due to the thin tissues of the labia minora, and it appears that you had at least a portion of your procedure treated as a trim technique.  You should see steady improvement in your swelling over the next six weeks so hang in there and try to minimize your swelling by using cold compresses, pelvic elevation, antiinflammatories, and bromelain supplementation.  Best wishes.

Recovery from labiaplasty

can be distressing due to the swelling and bruising that sometimes happens.  At this point, trust your surgeon to have done what is right for you and allow your swelling to resolve at which point you will better appreciate what improvements have been achieved with your procedure.  Its even difficult to clearly tell what technique you had but there appears to be a suture line on the edge that would suggest a trim.

Curtis Wong, MD

I'm from Germany and I had my surgery 3 days before. It's extremely swollen.

Thank you for sharing.  It is very common to have swelling post procedure and it usually always resolves without issues but this is more swelling then customary.  I would strongly advice you to see your surgeon as soon as possible for a proper evaluation.

Labiaplasty and swelling

Hello,You seem to have more swelling than most patients at three days, although this is not unusual.  Applying ice to the area especially for the first 2 days and avoiding any shearing and pressure is crucial in controlling swelling. It is difficult to predict your results early on without knowing your surgeon's  techniques  and important  to follow  instructions  carefully to ensure the best possible healing.
Regards,Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                     Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Which technique? Neither

It doesn't look like the doctor followed any specific technique, which is worrisome. The good news is that you are swollen and that things will improve as the swelling goes down. It is very important to find a doctor that can be very specific about their approach and technique.

LabiaplastyVaginal Rejuvenation

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Labiaplasty care

The best advice at this point is to get instructions from your surgeon. We would instruct our patients to try and reduce the swelling with warm compresses, sea salt soaks, Epsom salt sitz baths, antihistamines like diphenhydramine and anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen. We advise on and off ice packs during the first 24 hours to prevent swelling.

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended. I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon.   Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Extreme Swelling Post-Op

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. If you remain uncomfortable with swelling or any pain, it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon in person to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Best of luck!