Do I need a Tummy Tuck? I want 3 more children and I hate the scar (Photo)

I was advised by a PA during a consultation for a BBL that the Dr will not lipo my stomach due to how bad my skin will sag and will only do my flanks and back. However, I would like a flatter stomach and I'm not worried about the skin as I will continue to work out and as my stomach shrinks hopefully so will the fat. I was advised I need a tummy tuck Please advise!

Considering tummy tuck vs. liposuction

Liposuction is used for body contouring, which means that it will improve definition and remove localized pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.  Liposuction depends on elasticity of the overlying skin envelope.  If excess fat is removed and the skin does not retract adequately, the aesthetic appearance will likely worsen.  The resultant loose skin will not improve even with regular exercise.  The only way to address significant loose skin is through direct excision.

I would recommend a tummy tuck to help achieve your aesthetic goals once you have completed future pregnancies.  If you became pregnant following tummy tuck surgery, you will likely develop recurrence of the rectus diastasis (separation or stretching between the rectus muscles), since the muscle repair would be placed under significant tension.  Excess subcutaneous tissue and redundant skin will likely recur of the lower abdomen as well, which poses increased risk of requiring a revision tummy tuck.

Best, Stephanie Power MD, MSc, FRCSC

Do I need a Tummy Tuck? I want 3 more children and I hate the scar

If you have a big belly that makes you unhappy and you are not happy about the look of it, if you have experienced skin sagging on your abdominal area after a weight loss, if you are unhappy with the sagged look of your abdominal area after the pregnancy, if you had a liposuction operation and now your belly is sagged; then you can get benefit from a Tummy Tuck operation.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is only option for you

Complete your family then have a tummy tuck.  Scar will be needed. However there is no other option for you. Forget BBL

Vasdev Rai, MD

Abdominoplasty | Tummy Tuck v. Liposuction

In my opinion, you would probably be happier with a tummy tuck than with liposuction alone.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Do I need a Tummy Tuck?

Yes! Based on your photos- you are a candidate for abdominoplasty ( tummy tuck). This is the only way - in my opinion- to make your abdomen the the flattest, it will remove all of your excess skin and fat, and also tighten your muscles. You can get a flank lipo at the same time. Seek an experienced Board Certified PS with a wide variety of before and after photos.

Tummy tuck needed?

Hello, from the photos provided it appears that there is significantly loose skin on the lower abdomen that is creating a fold.  Liposuction will not significantly tighten a loose piece of skin like this (called a pannus).  Tummy tuck surgery is more effective at removing excess skin.  If you are unsure about your surgeon's recommendations you could seek another consultation.

Thank you for the question. From the photographs provided you appear to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck. Having said that, you may want to hold off on the tummy tuck if you wish to have more children. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty will certainly undo the gains from the tummy tuck procedure. To what extent is unknown as that would be dependent on varying factors (size of baby, elasticity of skin, muscle retraction, etc.) not under your control.

I hope this helps. Best wishes!

Tummy tuck

I think the ideal procedure for you is a tummy tuck, but if you want to have additional children then a tummy tuck is an absolute NO!!

Wait on Tummy Tuck

You are the perfect candidate for a tummy tuck but you should really wait until you are done having children. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Want a tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. You will get a fantastic result from a tummy tuck as you already have a great shape. I personally however would not do so now. If you want 3 more children, do so first and then get the tummy tuck. 
Peter Fisher M.D. 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon