My left breast is on FIRE! Other one is fine. Is this normal? (photo)

3 days post op: had full tummy tuck, 700cc breast augmentation, lipo of flanks and back, fat to lip transfer. My left breast feels like it's on fire! My other one is fine. A particular part of my stomach feels the same way. Is this normal?

Pain in one breast and not the other after Breast Augmentation, is it normal?

Hi BetterMe,

Thanks for your question and photo. It certainly is normal to have pain in one side compared to the other. You look good for only 3 days after surgery. Sometimes some nerves are cut that lead to the burning sensation but it usually subsides. Be patient, most of the burning stops within a matter of weeks. Congratulations on your result thus far! Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#mommymakeover  #pain     

Variable Healing after Breast Surgery

The healing process after breast augmentation carries different effects: pain is variable, it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax, celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help, massage and stretching may help, everyone heals differently, and 4-7 days off from work is common. The best thing to do with questions about your healing process is to visit your surgeon to have the area evaluated to ensure everything is progressing properly. Good luck!

Dr derby

Thank you for your question and the photo. Discomfort and some pain is normal after surgery , especially with larger implants.  A lot of pain needs to be communicated with your surgeon right away. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

One side of the body feels on fire - is this normal?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-ver.
  • You have very large implants and the problem may be stretched nerves -
  • But you must call your own surgeon because s/he may need to see you.
  • This is not the normal post-operative experience, even though all may end up fine.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

My left breast is on FIRE! Other one is fine. Is this normal?

At 3 days post op it is not uncommon to experience some pain, but it should not feel like you are on fire.  Contact your surgeon with this issue.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

My left breast is on fire. Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your surgery.  Though nerve irritation due to stretching of your breast and abdominal skin is normal and can lead to a burning sensation what is more important is to assess how your pain has been changing.  If worsening an in-person evaluation by your surgeon needs to be performed, but if unchanged or improving you may be experiencing normal healing.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon, they can best help you.  

Pain after surgery

Congratulations on your recent surgery! You are very early after a huge surgery. Pain is certainly expected at this point. However, there is no way to tell via an online forum whether it is normal post op pain or a sign of something concerning. Please call your plastic surgeon as he/she will know exactly what you have had done and can better reassure you than we can. You may need to be evaluated in person. Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Pain after mommy makeover surgery…

Congratulations on having undergone the "mommy makeover" procedures.  Although significant discomfort is certainly "normal" at this stage in your recovery, it may also be a sign of a problem if it is increasing in intensity or associated with a change in your physical examination. Therefore, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Mommy makeover recovery

It sounds like you are experiencing some nerve pain.  Contact your surgeon to discuss this.  Be prepared that he/she may want to have you come in for an evaluation.

Camille Cash, MD