Is this much bruising normal? (photos)

I had 375cc silicone round smooth implants placed under the muscle 9/1/16. I am off pain meds and muscle relaxers. However, I have bad bruising that has continued to spread. The nurse on call says it's nothing to worry about, but I don't have a post op visit until 9/7, is this really normal and okay? Is there anything I can do to reduce it and will it cause any other problems?

Not normal

This is not a normal amount of bruising.  It needs to be evaluated by the surgeon that performed the augmentation.

Early post op, some advices :

Thanks for the question.I recommend you to go and see your plastic surgeon and follow his advices. a personal evaluation is always better than photos.Hope you get well soon,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bruising

Thank you for your question and photos. As others have stated, it is best to evaluate these concerns in person. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to know whether this is particularly heavy, dark bruising within the normal range or a possible hematoma- pocket of blood which need to be evacuated. Bruising can be very individual. If you do not normally have an issue with extensive bruising I suggest that you ask to be seen in person as soon as possible to address your concerns.
All the best

S this much bruising normal?

Bruising can happen after a breast augmentation, however like others have said it is normally rare in my experience. Depending on the patient or medications taken prior to surgery that increase blood flow it is a possibility that this not a hematoma, but I always recommend you return to your operating surgeon to make sure that this would be considered normal bruising for you or to rule out the possibility of, again it being a hematoma.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.Every patient is different. It is normal to have some bruising along with swelling after a breast augmentation but the amount differs per patient and can last up to two weeks. I recommend for my patients to prevent/reduce bruising to consider taking some vitamin K which will help thicken the blood and reduce bruising. After surgery, stay elevated, ice on and off for the first 48 to 72 hours, refrain from taking any medication that has blood thinning properties (ask your doctor for a list of these medications) and wear your surgical bra. These should all help reduce the amount of bruising you may have post op. I hope this helps!
Good luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Is this bruising normal?

Bruising can be very variable for all patients. The best way to help you with making this evaluation is to check with your operating surgeon.it would be difficult to help you make this assessment by examining two photos of you.
Best of luck to you.
Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and bruising

Bruising after an augmentation is exceedingly rare, although small bruises can happen.  If there is significant size difference between the breasts or the bruising continues to enlarge, see your surgeon, as this can be a sign of a more serious issue (hematoma around the implant).

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Bruising

If you are uncomfortable, I would suggest asking your surgeons office to come in prior to your next scheduled post op and be seen to ease any worries you may have. Best of luck!

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

How much bruising is normal?

It all depends on the individual in regards to how much bruising is normal.  As long as the breasts themselves appear similar in size and shape, this bruising probably doesn't represent an accumulation of blood in the pocket.  Bruising in and of itself is not worrisome.  If you had no bruising but one side were much larger, we would all be much more concerned.  I recommend you keep your appointment with your surgeon and follow their recommendations.  If things change or you become more concerned then contact their office sooner.  

Melinda Haws, MD

Bruising

It can be normal. Everyone is different. The only issue is whether or not you have any free blood collection within the pocket contributing to this. It is difficult to tell from the angle of view here whether or not there is any asymmetry of the breast volume though it "appears" similar. If you are comfortable you can wait until your appointment. It is common for bruising to "come out" over a period of a few days before stabilizing.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD