5 days post Tummy Tuck w/out drains and Breast Lift. What are the signs and symptoms of tearing muscle repair? Can it be fixed?

I have had a lot of discomfort in upper abs from muscle repair. All of a sudden after a painful cough it feels like it has relaxed some. This makes me nervous that I have torn the repair. What are the signs and symptoms of tearing the repair? Can it be fixed? I have an appt on Monday but this is totally stressing me out. Also I have not been able to have a bowel movement until an hour after this happened.

Concerned About Possible Muscle Tear 5 Days After Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Healing after a  #tummy tuck requires time. Your abdomen will feel tight for a month or longer. If you have had a muscle repair as well (the usual case), you will feel the most tightness down the center of your tummy where the doctor has actually repaired your muscles. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

The #healing process make take at least 3-4 months until you see your final results. Seromas and other side effects are not uncommon following a #drainless tummy #tuck.  All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk and should have been discussed during your consultation.  At any time, you have any concerns about your healing or recovery, it's best to contact your plastic surgeon  sooner than later,  to prevent any possible infections or #healing complications.

Muscle Repair Issues

Pain with coughing is normal after a tummy tuck.  Most surgeons use very strong sutures and multiple layers of repair to avoid loss.  Typically you hear of feel sutures popping and you notice a new bulge that wasn't there before. If you did not experience that, then loss of the muscle repair is unlikely. Try not to worry and discuss this matter with your surgeon at your next visit. Best wishes on your recovery!

Relax. What you have experienced is not unusual. When the muscle stitches "pop" patients report actually hearing them.  If this happens, it usually involves the stitches in the upper abdomen. Patients may notice a new found bulge in the upper abdomen. This may or may not represent the  release of the muscle in the area. Sometimes, the patient may form a localized seroma ( collection of fluid) which may appear as a bulge in the upper abdomen.Only a physical exam by your surgeon will determine if the cough affected yo in a negative way. Good luck