Is there really no way to reduce the size of my nostrils? (photo)

I just went to get a consultation for an alarplasty and the surgeon told me it was not possible for my nostrils, because he said it would make it too triangle. Is there really no way to reduce the size of my nostrils?

Hello! Reducing the size of the nostrils can impair breathing and is usually unnecessary. However, reducing the tip width would improve the appearance of the base of your nose. Triangularity is actually the aesthetic ideal for a nose and your tip appears a bit more rhomboid. I would suggest you schedule a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who performs rhinoplasty on a regular basis. You should be able to get your photos morphed to show you what can be accomplished with rhinoplasty and look at before/afters of patients with similar problems. Good luck!

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nostril reduction

Thank you for your question and photographs.It appears from your photographs that your nostrils are quite small. However, it also appears that you have alar base deformity secondary to wide medial crural footplates. My opinion would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nostrils and rhinoplasty

The pictures are suboptimal to evaluate your nostrils. Furthermore, the nostrils should not be analyzed as a separate entity but rather in relation to the remainder of your nose. On the limited views you provided, though, it appears that your nasal skin is rather thick with a bulbous nasal tip and narrow middle vault. I suggest you see a rhinoplasty expert for consultation who examines you, takes photos, performs computer imaging, and shows you before and after pictures of his or her work. If you are otherwise healthy and have expectations that your surgeon can meet, you might be a great candidate for a rhinoplasty. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon