I had a breast reduction. Is it normal for me to have more redness at 10 weeks post op than I did after 4 weeks? (Photo)

I am a little over 10 weeks post BR surgery. I have noticed a thicker width of redness around my incision scars. This amount of redness was not present at 4 weeks post op. is there a reason for this redness (e.g. Scratching or rubbing)? When should the redness subside?

Incision Redness after Breast Reduction

Some discomfort, swelling and discoloration of the #breasts are to be expected for several weeks. The scars at the incision lines typically become reddish and a few weeks after surgery are raised and firm. After a number of months they become pale and soft. After 8-12 months, the scars are relatively inconspicuous.

However, if you have #severe #redness, swelling, drainage or odor, it is important to call the office and speak with the doctor or medical staff. You may need to be seen in the office and evaluated. If the wound becomes separated or you develop a small opening, this again should be evaluated so that appropriate steps can be taken as soon as possible!

More redness at 10 weeks

Thank you for the question and pictures.    This is certainly not an unusual occurrence it takes  many months to appreciate a "final result".     Follow your surgeons post op instructions and make sure
 to ask questions whenever you have them.    Best of luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

I had a breast reduction. Is it normal for me to have more redness at 10 weeks post op than I did after 4 weeks?

Thank you for your question.  Based on the photo, it appears that you have some scar redness which is typical at this stage in the healing process.  As times goes by, the scar color and appearance changes as it heals and remodels.  Be sure to discuss this issue with your surgeon and to get specific scar care.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Scar changes over time during healing.

Wound healing has a variety of phases during this process.  They tend to look better.... then worse....then better again.  I'm sure you have heard or been told that, "wound healing takes a year."  That is because of these different phases of healing.  There can be many factors that effect these phases such as your inflammatory response, how much tightness there is with pressure on the scars, what suture materials were used, or even if there is a problem brewing.  Sometimes it is a pigmentation problem around the scar and not the scar itself. It can even be a response to any scar care you are doing.  If this is not your first surgery and things are different than they were before, you should bring this up. Talk to your surgeon.

Myles Goldflies, MD

Incision redness

Incision redness often gets worse at about the 6-8 weeks mark. This is fairly common. Best to check with your surgeon regarding incision care.

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
2 months after Breast Reduction, it's not time enough to express a valid opinion of results.
On the other hand, generally to avoid the normal p.o. swelling, I recommend to limit the arms movement for two weeks.
Also it's not advisable to carry weight and take the antiinflamatory painkillers drugs.
Finally, I recommend you always use a therapeutic bra.
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I had a breast reduction. Is it normal for me to have more redness?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure.Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to evaluating the “redness”. Assuming the discoloration has been present for a prolonged period of time, it is probably related to venous congestion (as opposed to an infection).  I have since this many times and think that it is related to circulation changes along the flaps utilized during the breast reduction procedure  An infection at this point in your recovery would be very unusual.
Again, best to check with your own plastic surgeon for accurate diagnosis, advice, and probably meaningful reassurance.  

A breast reduction. Is it normal for me to have more redness at 10 weeks post op than I did after 4 weeks?

Could be healing redness to cellulitis. But only in person examinations would allow that determination. seek these in person opinions!