Mastopexy at same time of explant with no replacement implants?

I have just discovered breast implant illness.....and I do resonate with some of the symptoms listed in the book The Naked Truth About Breast Implants although never formally diagnosed. I have McGhan Medical implants from 99 and am looking to have them removed and a possible lift. I have spoken with two surgeons and one says to do lift at same time....other says no wait and see. Thoughts or experiences with this situation. All input is much appreciated.

Lift

If you have enough tissue and blood supply to your nipples after removal, the lift could be considered. If not, it will be best to wait until new blood flow has developed around your nipples. Some women are so thin that a lift is not an option. Sometimes, this decision has to be made in the operating room based on the surgeon's experience.  However, I do recommend removing old gel implants.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast explants - with or without a lift?

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.
  • If your implants are causing you problems, definitely have them removed.
  • A small vertical lift should be done at the same time -
  • It is easy to do, will give your breast a pretty shape and you can put this behind you.
  • Otherwise your breasts will be flatter, wider and have little shape.
  • All of my patients who have had lifts with implant removal have been pleased -
  • PS - I believe the problems attributed to breast implant 'disease' are the same that afflict all implants, which is formation of a biofilm that causes chronic irritations. Yes, implant removal is the treatment.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for the question. Short answer: much will depend on your physical examination ( factors such as degree of breast ptosis, current position of breast implants, number of previous operations, assessment of breast skin quality/elasticity…) and your plastic surgeons' clinical judgment.   

Longer answer: in person consultation will be necessary to provide you with precise advice. The main issue of concern is adequacy of blood flow given the extensive breast surgery planned. In my opinion, if the degree of breast lifting ( distance of movement of the nipple/areola complexes) is significant, then you may be better off having the procedure performed in 2 stages. If the degree of breast lifting is relatively small ( shorter distance of movement of the nipple/areola complexes) then it is likely that the procedure can be performed in one stage. If in doubt, in my opinion, the two stage approach is safer.

In "borderline" cases where there is doubt whether breast lifting is necessary or not, I advise patients to undergo explantation only and to give their breasts the benefit of the doubt (allow for about six months to pass after breast implant removal) before deciding whether breast lifting would be beneficial. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Mastopexy at same time of explant

Each case is different and you'll have to see a board-certified plastic surgeon (I usually advise seeing several so that you can compare recommendations) in person to see what the options are for you.In a general sense, a mastopexy (breast lift) can be performed at the same time as implant removal, or it can be stages (ie done at a later, secondary procedure).  There are advantages and disadvantages with each.  Doing it at one time means that there is only one procedure and that you avoid what might be a relatively unattractive appearance of your breasts.  If you have very thin skin, however, and are having capsulectomies (for example), then staging the procedure increases the safety of it.  Sometimes implants can be removed without the need for a lift; that depends, among other things, on how big the implants are, how long they've been in place, weight changes, specifics of your skin, etc. And all of that is more than can be discussed via this forum.Despite many claims concerning "breast implant illness," the existence of that entity is not universally agreed upon, or backed by clear science.  Your symptoms may or may not improve with removal of the implants and, often, similar symptoms are present - and arguably to the same degree - in women who don't have implants.  This was addressed in a 1996 book Science on Trial, written by Marcia Angell, MD, an editor of the New England Journal of Medicine.You can of course consider and have breast implant removal without basing that decision on the existence (or not) of "breast implant illness."  Either way, though, you should be assessed in person to see which options is most appropriate for you.I hope that this helps and good luck,Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

Wait On Lift

While you are healing from the explant, you may find that your nipple position may move.  If you have a lift at the same setting this could be disastrous.  Consult with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD