I have what I thought was a skin tag leading from my vagina to my anus, but could be a predominant perineal raphe? (Photo)

I've never been diagnosed with this so I don't actually know if that's what it is. But I've googled a lot and seen very similar pictures. What causes this, and can it be treated without surgery?

Treatment of perineal median raphe

What you have is entirely "normal" and may be termed a "median raphe."  It won't hurt you there, but may be removed/revised by a skilled vulvovaginal aesthetic surgeon.There are a few well-qualified surgeons in the Atlanta area...

There is no specific "cause..."  It's just your anatomy; the only way to "treat" it if it bugs you would b surgical removal.

Michael Goodman MD

What Is the Raised Line Between Vagina and Anus?

Though you would need to be examined by your gynecologist to know for sure, from the photo it appears that, yes, that line between the vagina and the anus is the perineal raphe. The perineal raphe is a normal anatomic finding that develops as the result of tissue fusion during embryonic development.

Click on the link below to see how normal that anatomy is.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Perineum Excess Loose Skin

Loose skin between the anus and the vagina may occur as a raphe such as yours or as a fusion of the labia minora. It's normal, but if you want to have it removed, it certainly can be done with a small resection of the loose tissue. The folds created by the loose tissue sometimes get irritated with normal activities, but they pose no real health concerns for most women.

Prominent ridge between anus and posterior vagina

As we develop embryologically, we have a "line of fusion" between the anus and either the posterior vagina (female) or the scrotum (male).  This ridge is usually fairly flat, but it could be prominent.  As to whether it needs treatment  of any type, and what kind of treatment, I would consult with a gynecologist, be examined in person and then you will have better answers to your question.

Below is a link with information on labiaplasty and vaginoplasty, as well as a diagram of female anatomy. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon