Goretex implant to raise bridge in ethnic skin with Latex Allergy. Confused about Gortex and cartilage because of mixed reviews?

Hi, I am scheduled to have ethnic rhinoplasty in September but I have been going back-and-forth about using the Gore-Tex Implant that my doctor suggest. During my last consult he was against using cartilage and said that I did not have enough and that he would need to use the Gortex to provide me with a raised bridge. My main concern is that I have a latex allergy and not sure what this implant is made of? I also saw where PS have posted good and bad reviews about Implants and Cartlidge. Help??

Nasal dorsum

Surgeons have differing preferences for what to use. All options have advantages and disadvantages. A Gortex implant is NOT a concern with latex allergy. It is commonly used with consistently good results when used properly and performed skillfully. While it has a slightly higher risk of infection, it has a lower risk of warping or resorption since it does not warp nor resorb. The best option is the one that will achieve the consistently best result in your surgeon's hands.

Goretex implant

In my opinion, Goretex is one of the worst implants to use. I have taken care of many patients and had to remove the Goretex implant due to infection. Your own cartilage is the treatment of choice for best and safest results. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Autologous grafts vs Synthetic implants

Synthetic implants such as silicone implants carry a higher risk of complications (including infection, migration, and extrusion) than grafts made from your own tissue (autologous grafts).  In general they produce aesthetic results which appear less natural than an expertly placed autologous graft, and do not produce a permanent result.  Without question, using your own cartilage will be the best option to achieve maximal projection and refinement of your nose.   Especially when building up the nose a significant amount, using synthetic implants will put excess tension and stress on the skin, ultimately thinning it and causing issues down the road.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Hi newmebeauty. .Thanks for your question. Gortex should not be an issue with your latex allergy. While some surgeons use synthetic implants, I prefer to use a patient's own cartilage (either from septum, ear or rib). Using your own tissue has less risk of infection, extrusion, and looks more natural. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Goretex versus cartilage implants for nasal augmentation

Often times, it is the preference of the surgeon as to the choice of implant to be used. Goretex is hypoallergenic and non-immunogenic so it is unlikely to cause an allergy problem and it is not related to Latex. My preference is the use of cartilage implants from the septum and ear and rib if necessary. However, Goretex can work well too; however, it has a higher incidence of infections including delayed infections over time.  The skill of the surgeon is very important as well. Good luck with your decision.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gore-Tex implant for ethnic rhinoplasty

In our practice, we do not use Gore-Tex implants in the nose due to the complications we have seen from them placed elsewhere. Gore-Tex  has nothing to do with a latex allergy.

Gortex vs Cartilage in Nasal Augmentation

I have always preferred using the patient's own tissue, diced cartilage in a fascia sleeve, for augmentation of the nasal bridge to avoid the increased risk of infection, movement, and extrusion with synthetic implants. I've never seen a patient who did not have enough cartilage to increase nasal projection.

Gortex vs. cartilage on the nasal dorm

You raise some very good questions.  I have used many Gortex implants and many cartilage grafts on the nasal dorsum.  I have two employees who have had Gortex on the bridge of there nose for over 20 years without problems.  Both cartilage and Gortex can give excellent results, but both can have problems also.  In my experience, infection is very unusual with either, but can occur requiring removal and replacement.  Although unusual, I have seen more infections with Gortex than cartilage.  The biggest problem if have seen with both materials has been dorsal contour changes over time.  With cartilage, a portion or all of the graft can be resorbed.  With Gortex, scar contracture can cause buckling and distortion of the implant. I lean toward Gortex in situations where cartilage availability or usability is a problem.

Richard Zeph, MD
Carmel Facial Plastic Surgeon

Goretex

The concern with Goretex implants on the nose is that they could become infected and extrude.  The incidence of this is much higher with synthetic implants than with cartilage.  I would recommend cartilage for dorsal augmentation but if not available, this is a reasonable alternative. 

Gortex Nasal Implant in Ethnic Rhinoplasty

It is common during and ethnic rhinoplasty to have the bridge raised.  This can either be complete with an implant or your body's own natural cartilage.  An implant can be composed of Gortex or silicone.  While any of these techniques are acceptable, I prefer to use patient's own cartilage.  If the becomes and issue with either infection or a poor result, Gortex can be difficult to removed.  I hope this helps