Did Tummy Tuck go wrong? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck a week ago. I am 25, mom to 3 and have worked hard to be in good physical shape. I chose a tummy tuck to remove lax skin after childbirth. I was under the impression I would have a very flat stomach after the surgery. The day after surgery I was able to see my stomach and was mortified. My stomach is just as ugly as before and it was actually flatter before. Will this get any better?

Is it normal for a PS to never see or talk to you again after tummy tuck and liposuction surgery?

Thanks for your question. Pre- operative planning is key to a successful cosmetic surgery. By looking at your photos , it is readily apparent that your belly button was very high on your abdomen and that you had a limited distance in the vertical dimension from your belly button to the end of your breast bone. Although you have an abundance of skin in a horizontal dimension, it would have been clear that there wasn't enough skin to be able to pull down for a full tummy tuck without leaving the "up and down" scar you were left with. If the patient is counseled prior to surgery that they will also have a vertical scar from pubis to belly button in addition, then there should be no surprises. As far as the swelling, it will improve. Good luck

Did Tummy Tuck go wrong?

Hard to say but my guess is YES!. Was the chosen surgeon a boarded PS? Maybe after 3 weeks healing if things don not appear to be improving seek IN ESON second opinions. Sorry for the issues. And thanks for using RealSelf. 

Tummy tuck gone wrong

Judging from your preop photos, this is not a standard tummy tuck incision.  You are still in the early postop course and can expect swelling which will get better with time..  Is your surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? I would go back and ask why the surgeon chose this incision and get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Did tummy tuck go wrong?

You are swollen and things will improve but your pre-op photos do not appear to support the kind of tummy tuck that was done. Was your tummy tuck done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?

Perhaps you had lost a very great deal of weight and have extensive excess skin.
Otherwise I do not understand the vertical incision. 

The photos may not provide all the relevant information but if you believe they do, 
consider asking your surgeon for an explanation of what was done and a copy of the operative note.
If you are not satisfied, seek an early second opinion with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. 

Did Tummy Tuck go wrong? (photo)

It is too early to tell how it will turn out. There is still some swelling present. I would wait a period of time and then discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

When a tummy tuck looks worse than what you started with

you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon and request a copy of your consultation at that time to help better determine what was documented during your discussions.  You should been told you would have a vertical scar or offered some other options on how to avoid that (umbilical float) and what your anticipated scar would be like, often done by showing before and after photos of other patients.  And was your muscle sutured?  And finally, tummy tucks should provide a flatter tummy as opposed to a very flat tummy, though the latter is always the ideal and ultimate goal.

Curtis Wong, MD

TT questions

It's too early to see what's going on.  You are very swollen and it will take some time before you can see your results.   Please bring up your questions and concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. 

1 week after surgery it's normal to look very strange

1 week after surgery it's normal to look very strange.  Your abdomen is in very early healing phase.  All the roughness, dimpling will settle down over the next three months.  You have a vertical incision which is complicating things a little.  Not sure why as your before pics did not seem to indicate you would need one, but I can't comment more on that without having examined you before surgery

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tt gone wrong

Hello and thank you for your question. We all slightly different incisions for tt. You have a vertical component because most of your skin laxity was below the bb. At this time you are swollen and with time your result will definitely improve.  I personally would have made a slightly different incision.  My only criticism is that you are able to stand erect, which means more skin could have been removed and that your muscles/fascia may not have been tightened. 
Peter Fisher M.D. 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your pictures. This is a very poor results. The only thing that you can do now is to allow it to heal from next three months reevaluate your situation and determine when revision would be appropriate. .