4 months post TT w/ muscle repair only (Photo)

I'm 4 months po tt with muscle repair , I feel like I keep gaining and gaining. My lower part of my tummy is flat especially from what it was( doc did fantastic job) however the upper abdomen is not :( see attachement . I do not understand. I eat pretty healthy drink lots of water and try to get some sort of exercise in. I do realize that all this will pass in time. I just feel bigger than before in some ways

4 months post op. some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.At this point (4months post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Help with Tummy Tuck

The best tummy tuck results are achieved when patients try to get as close to their ideal body weight as possible before surgery. Patients who are able to accomplish this difficult objective get very nice results, with abdominal contours that would make most the world jealous. At this point, without pictures, it is impossible to give you any guidance. However, I would express your concerns with your surgeon, and potentially form a plan going forward in the future. This should start with aggressive weight loss program, and a potential revision to remove the excess skin and fat in the future. Good Luck. 

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

4 months post TT with muscle repair only

Thanks for your question.  Some preoperative pictures would be helpful.  Reasons for fullness in the upper abdomen after TT are:  muscle repair only below the belly button, excess fat above the muscle (which can be liposuctioned) or below the muscle (which can't), or inadequate repair of the loose muscle above the belly button.  Either way 6 months of waiting will be helpful to decide.  Good luck.

Tummy tuck contour

Hi.  It is difficult to say, without seeing you in person and likely seeing the operative note or knowing what your surgeon did more specifically for your tummy tuck.  Sometimes, though, now that you are far enough out, it is time to work on strengthening the muscles of the abdomen that were likely repaired with muscle plication at the time of your tummy tuck.  Discuss that with your surgeon to make sure that he or she agrees with that.  A trainer and/or a nutritionist may be helpful adjuncts as well.  Hang in there.  Good luck and take care, Dr. Howell

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery which will spontaneously resolve but it would be important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, or residual adipose tissue.  Hope this helps.

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photo. Talk to your surgeon if this might be swelling still post op or if you need to visit a nutritionist  for a more effective diet. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Upper abdomen after tummy tuck

You may have some persistent swelling at four months or there may be fat in the upper abdomen that was not removed with a tummy tuck procedure.  I would wait for 6 months to allow swelling to resolve and possible consider liposuction of the area to improve the result.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD