14 weeks post op from tummy tuck - 36 year old female

Question- how do I know when it's just fluid retention or weight gain? So this weekend, I did lots of house work, yard work, even managed to walk / run with the dog 2 miles. I ate extra health all weekend, salads w/o dressing , drank water all weekend. Still gained like 5-7 pounds. It's soooooo frustrating Why lol why?

Fluid retention or weight gain

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your tummy tuck! Considering that you're maintaining an active lifestyle and had your procedure done fairly recently, it is possible that you're experiencing some swelling as a result of seroma (i.e., a collection of fluid under your skin). In some cases, it may take up to 6-8 months for the swelling to subside completely. In the meantime, keep up your healthy lifestyle but make sure not to overexert yourself as your body is still continuing the healing process.  As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

14 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (14 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck 14 weeks ago - why the weight gain?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • If you ate well but gained 5-7 pounds over a weekend, it is fluid not fat.
  • Our bodies can swell a lot with exercise after surgery -
  • Especially in the hot, humid Georgia summer.
  • Keep eating well and exercising but see if less running is the answer.
  • Sometimes the impact of running is too much for the body this early after surgery.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post-op edema

Thank you for your question.  You are about 3.5 months out from surgery, which is still early in the healing process.  It can take up to 6 months in some cases for all the swelling to subside.  The bloating you are feeling is more likely just from the increased activity this weekend.  Do not let that deter you from exercise and healthy eating, everything will get back to normal it just takes your body time to heal from a big surgery like this. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon