I am considering a mid face lift with in the next year. When should I start consulting with board certified doctors?

my question is, when should I start consulting with board certified doctors

Facelift Consultations

It makes sense to start the consultation process approximately six months prior to surgery. Your surgeon will see you for a pre-operative appointment several weeks before surgery.

Before the consultation process, there is much you can do to help you find the best plastic surgeon for you
1) Look at many, many before and after images of facelifts performed by doctors you are interested in
2) Check the training of plastic surgeons
3) Learn about their philosophy about surgery - this can usually be found on their website
4) Learn about the facility where surgery will be performed
5) Check into the surgical team and be certain that an MD anesthesiologist will be providing anesthesia care
6) Get to know the pre-operative and post-operative team that will work with your plastic surgeon

Schedule surgery only when you have a found a plastic surgeon that you rust with your health and well being, and someone you trust to make a permanent change in your appearance. 

The right plastic surgeon for you will meet all your criteria, and will listen to you and understand your goals. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Interviewing doctors for facelift can be done at any time.

Many patients want to devote a lot of effort to selecting a good surgeon. This may take many months. There's no reason not to start now.

Time to start consultation with plastic surgeons.

Thank you for you question about a mid-face lift.

I do not think a year is too early to begin getting consultations.
I often see patients a year before they want to have surgery - 
It allows us to develop a plan so they know what to expect when they return, closer to the time of surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
I hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

The sooner you start consulting, the better.

Finding a surgeon you can trust, particularly for facial procedures, is a process that should definitely not be rushed and is better started sooner rather than later. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon who is recognized as a facelift specialist, and who advise you what your best options are. RealSelf can be an invaluable resource when comparing surgeons. Don’t choose a surgeon based on the lowest price or the best deal. You only have one face, and you deserve to put your care in the best hands rather than the cheapest.

Nirav Savalia, MD

Do you need a mid-face lift?

Hi.  Rather than searching for a particular surgeon to do a mid-face lift, it's better to seek out the recommendation of an experienced surgeon, and let him or her tell you what procedure is needed.  In my opinion, the mid face lift is rarely used:  it has modest results, and a long recovery time.  Many mid face issues can be resolved with either fillers (Voluma, etc.) or fat grafting.  It would be more likely that you need a facelift - but without photos, it's difficult to tell.

"Mid- Facelift" Consultation

4-6 months prior to the time you wish to have surgery would be appropriate. I would recommend explaining to the surgeons you consult your concerns, rather than asking for a specific procedure. This way you will learn not only if you are a candidate for a mid-cheek lift, but other options as well.

Good luck.

Dr. Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD, FACS
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Midface lift

Hi dayton1186. Good luck in your search to find a cosmetic surgeon. Midface lifts are not routinely performed by all surgeons, so make sure you find a surgeon who is an expert in this specialized surgery. It is never too early to begin your search. good luck. 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consultation process for mid face lift

There is no definitive answer to your question. Factors include the number of qualified board certified plastic surgeons in your area (and how far out they are scheduled), the amount of time that you need to set your schedule (possibly to ask time off from work), and if will need to arrange for care of a loved one while you are healing. For some patients, that answer is 30 days and for others 6 to 9 months.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Considering a mid-facelift

Thanks for your question! It would've been helpful if photos were provided along with the question. When considering plastic surgery, these are some tips to consider.

1. Begin with a board certified plastic surgeon and visit several offices
2. Seek a surgeon who does at least 100 facelifts per year
3. Internet discussions don't replace the advice of your physician
4. Have your surgery performed in a AAAASF certified facility so that you are in a safe environment
5. Consider a board certified anesthesiologist for the sedation or general anesthesia
6. Computer imaging can improve understanding the target result and assist in the discussion with your surgeon
7. Have your surgeon take his time to use sutures instead of staples for the closure
8. Be sure that you have an excellent caregiver to assist you in the recovery
9. A ice water circulated Cool Mask makes the job easier for the care

Best Wishes,
Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Lots of consultations are key

Surgeons practices and aesthetic eye varies considerably. There are facelifts and then there are facelifts. Make sure your surgeon performs a lot of facelifts and is happy to show you lots of before and afters. Seek permission to contact previous patients and hear their side too. There is a lot of art in facelifting, an aesthetic eye, a caring persona and superspecialisation is as important as technical skill. I now restrict my practice almost exclusively to facelifting as I beleive it is a skill which a surgeon needs to perform on a weekly basis to get predictable and natural results. Good luck on your search - enjoy it - you will "know" when you have found your surgeon.

Dominic Bray, MBBS, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon