Is there a age limit for Blepharoplasty surgery?

Previously I asked about how to receive a deep set eyes by undergoing surgery, and now I've heard about Blepharoplasty and ptosis. But I'm also wondering if there is a age limit to do this? Btw I'm 19 years old.

Hi. There is no age limit to undergo eyelid surgery. However, most eyelid surgeries performed on young individuals are done to correct either ptosis (droopy upper lid) or some other medical condition. Good luck, Dr. PG

Depends upon IN PERSON examination to see if there are medical reasons to offer lid surgery at a young age.

Is there an appropriate age for eyelid surgery

Thank you for asking your good question. There is no age requirement for eyelid surgery; in fact, sometimes it is a necessary operation for a child to develop normal vision. There are multiple variables which help a surgeon determine the best timing for the procedure. Make a consultation with an experienced eyelid specialist. 
Good luck,

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question about eyelid surgery. Pictures would be helpful.

No, there is not a specific age limit for blepharoplasty given the fact that some situations are genetic or developmental, not related to age.

To be sure what might be best for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Nothing replaces a thorough consultation

Nothing replaces a thorough consultation where your surgeon determines the exact cause of your concern, and can go over options to correct them.  Age is not a contraindication but may raise different concerns that your surgeon can address.  Make sure you choose a surgeon that takes the time to really listen to your concerns.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Assistant Clinical Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Dr Shortt strives to provide the best plastic surgery possible and is one of the top ranked plastic surgeons serving Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Burlington, Milton, Hamilton, and the GTA.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Needs an exam

An exam by a board certified plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon will help determine if you can be helped.
Age is not the determining factor.

Eyelid surgery decisions are based on anatomy, not age

Hi Ryan, thanks for your question.

The deciding factor on whether you should have eyelid surgery is the actual condition of the affected area, rather than age. .Droopy eyelids (ptosis) usually occur when the edge of the upper eyelid falls from its normal position, so this can be a congenital condition but in most cases, it results from aging of previously normal structures. Typically, the tendon of the muscle responsible for lifting the eyelid stretches and the eyelid falls. Surgical correction of a drooping upper eyelid involves repairing the stretched tendon.

Other causes for ptosis are cataract surgery, stroke or trauma. FYI, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the leading age group that has this procedure done is the 51-64 group, followed by the 35-50, those 65 and over, followed by your demographic, the 19-34 and lastly, a small percentage belong to, the 18 and under group.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

No age limit for blepharoplasty

There is no specific age limit for blepharoplasty or any other eyelid procedure. It all depends on particular anatomy, history, goals, etc.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

We make these decisions based on indications not age.

Age is not the issue.  The issue is more anatomic.  Be careful out there because having answered your other post, I think you have ideas about eyelid surgery that are not correct.  It is a funny world we live in. If you ask enough surgeons for something, someone will do surgery for you right or wrong.