Should you use vertical/anchor incision scar treatment gel silicone sheets after the sutures have been taken out as preventive treatment for scars even thought there are no signs of hyperpigmentation,raised scars etc. Will doing this make your scars looks more aesthetically appealing or just make the healing process worse?
Gel Silicone Sheets & Breast Reduction?
Doctor Answers 5
Silicone sheets and breast reduction
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening
Silicone sheets after breast reduction
Silicone sheets for incisions
Yes, silicone sheets have been shown to improve incision healing and appearance. It is up to you if you want to use these treatments. My philosophy is that it can't hurt so why not try everything that may be helpful.
You might also like...
Breast Reduction Silicone Sheets?
Thank you for the question.
You will find that every plastic surgeon has his/her preferences regarding incision line care after breast reduction surgery. Therefore, it will be best to run this question by your chosen plastic surgeon since he/she is ultimately this possible for your care/outcome.
Personally I use silicone sheeting or gel selectively for patients who may be at high risk for abnormal scarring.
Minimal Breast Reduction Scars
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.