3 days post-op breast augmentation, puffy and swollen -- is this normal?

I'm 3 days post op I had 485cc implants under the muscle, my left side under my armpit where the compression bra sits is really puffy swollen in the shape and length of my bra . It's really really sore and tender to touch is this normal? I also can't lift my left arm up very high at all ..

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, at the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be,  you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 5 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support.

Healing process

At only 3 days it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation. Swelling and pain are to be expected following your surgery. Be patient with your recovery and give your body time to heal. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

3 days post-op breast augmentation, puffy and swollen -- is this normal? Perth, Australia

The maximal swelling post augmentation is about 24-36 hours after the operation. You will absolutely be swollen at 3 days post surgery but it does sound a little suspicious having such focal swelling and tenderness. I would contact your surgeon and discuss your concerns. A clinical consultation and examination is likely required. Good luck.

Regards

Dr Guy Watts

Asymmetrical pain swelling and tightness after breast augmentation requires an examination by your plastic surgeon to make sure that you do not have excessive bleeding or a hematoma.  Please call your plastic surgeon for an examination and insisted on being seen by the surgeon.

Asymmetric Pain and Swelling Aftet Breast Augmentation

If this is a significant change from your prior exam or there is a significant difference in breast symmetry, you should immediately contact your plastic surgeon. Only an in-person evaluation can determine what is going on. Regardless, share your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Although what you are describing may be "normal", nothing will replace in-person evaluation when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource in this regard. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon