15 days post op will my breasts even out? Asymmetrical result (Photo)

I have had 275cc in each breast, 15 days post op, the dressings have just been taken off. I feel like I have a very asymmetrical result, one is much higher and seems bigger. Will this even out or are they unlikely to change much from here? I did have a slight asymmetry before but it wasn't this noticeable.

Asymmetrical results

Thanks for your question. I agree with the other surgeons that it is still slightly early days to predict the result of surgery as there is still some swelling at the moment. 

We tend to tell our parents that breasts following surgery act as sisters rather than twins and some asymmetry at this stage is not unusual. However if it persists and you still have swelling after 6 weeks it will certainly be worth discussing your concerns with your surgeon. 

Asymmetrical result

It's really too early to say for sure.  Also, any prior asymmetry will be magnified by the breast implants.  Please discuss with your surgeon.

How can I be Asymmetric. I was not born this way.

Actually most women are asymmetric at some level with regard to their breast shape and size. The common refrain at national meetings by the plastic surgeons lecturing on the topic is that breast are sisters and not twins. This however does not mean that minor differences seen in the early post operative period will not resolve with breast massage and tincture of time. So continue to follow up with you plastic surgeon and massage as directed. 

Asymmetry

Hello, if your surgery was only 2 weeks ago there could be ongoing change in the appearance of your breasts for several months.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Thank you for your photos.  You are still in early stages of recovery and healing.  Swelling takes a few months to subside.  I would also recommend following up with your surgeon for post op instructions.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Asymmetry

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your question. I always tell my patients during the consultation that breasts are asymmetric. I make sure to inform them of the differences in their breasts during the consultation and then again remind them during their pre-op because it is so important to understand these differences. Usually one of the nipple areolar complexes will be higher, one breast will be larger, one of the creases under your breasts will be higher etc... Some of these differences maybe subtle before surgery but after an augmentation they can become a little more evident. I found this to be most true with breast size.

There is some important information missing here that would be very helpful in answering your question. Pre-operative pictures and implant type (smooth, textured, round, anatomic etc...) to name a few. However, my thoughts for now are the following....

You are only 15 days post-op. It takes time for implants to settle into place, for swelling to go down and for things to soften. I always counsel my patients on the importance of patience and of following post operative directions. That being said, I would recommend you express your concerns with your plastic surgeon and see what their recommendations are. I hope this helps and congrats on your new breasts!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your recent surgery. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for your questions and photos!

I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio (tear-drop shape), and the nipples will move up higher (and point up).

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates.

Also note that any asymmetry that existed in breasts or nipples before surgery will continue to exist as breast augmentation only works to increase size of the breasts.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. Since you are only 2 weeks into recovery, there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.”

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

If the breasts appear too high even after 3-6 months, then at that point in time you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Asymmetry after augmentation

It is still too early to evaluate your final results.  There is still likely swelling from the your surgery which usually makes one side look slightly different than the other.  It honestly takes up to 3 months, and sometimes even longer to see the final result.  If you had asymmetry before surgery, then you will likely have some degree of asymmetry after surgery.  If you are very concerned about the size difference I would recommend scheduling a visit with your surgeon to make sure that everything is going according to plan.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician