Can a tummy tuck be done with a hysterectomy?

Girlfriend having hysterectomy in May and wondered if she could get a tummy tuck at the same time

TT with hysterectomy

Absolutely this can be done at the same time. This has the beauty of only one recovery period and one time to undergo anesthesia. Look for a plastic surgeon who can work with your gynecologist or vice versa. Best of luck to her.

Yes, a tummy tuck may be done safely with a hysterectomy. Patients prefer the one recovery and the flatter stomach when the surgeries are combined. I have Obgyn doctors that I work with easily to accomplish the surgery. We operate at the same hospital on the same days so scheduling is not difficult. Of course the patient is medically cleared for both procedures.  Generally, I make the incision, raise the flap, then the obgyn performs the hysterectomy, then I finish the tummy tuck. The patient stays in the hospital as they would for the hysterectomy. We both follow them post op. I hope this help you understand the process I use. 

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with hysterectomy

Yes an abdominoplasty can be performed at the same time as a hysterectomy.  The hurdles include scheduling the OB/GYN and plastic surgeon at the same time and place.  Also, the insurance company may not pay for the operating room, anesthesia or plastic surgeon's fees for the tummy tuck portion of the procedure.  Thus the patient would be responsible.  The operating room records and anesthesia record would document the length of time for each portion of the procedure. You can bet the insurance company would check this out, so they did not pay for a cosmetic procedure.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and hysterectomy

Yes from a science point of view, with papers demonstrating no increase in risks, these two surgeries can be combined into one operation. In my experience, it's the logistics of matching a gynecologists schedule and place of preferred operation with that of the cosmetic plastic surgeon. Usually, cosmetic plastic surgeons practice outside of hospitals which has the necessary tools to do the hysterectomy. I would first ask your gynecologist who they've worked with and are comfortable with in the past. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. A hysterectomy and a tummy tuck can be safely performed in the same operation, with papers demonstrating no increased risk to the patient. Be sure to have your friend express her desires to her ob/gyn, they may be able to recommend a plastic surgeon with whom they perform joint cases. Best wishes.

Combo procedures

Thanks for your question. The answer is very likely, yes, these two can be combined. We do this relatively frequently. It involves coordination of the two surgeons to be sure that it will not affect either procedure in terms of effectiveness or safety. I'd start with a consultation with a trusted plastic surgeon. You may want to ask your GYN surgeon who they would recommend because they will need to work at the same facility. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Hysterectomy and Tummy Tuck

It is certainly possible to combine a hysterectomy with a tummy tuck.  Be sure to seek a board-certified PS who has experience with this.  There are some things that can be done to make the procedure and recovery better.  For example, a pain pump can be placed at the time of surgery.  This pump slowly injects local anesthesia into the surgical areas to provide post-op pain relief.  A pump with 2 small tubes (catheters) can be placed.  One catheter can be placed over the muscles that are tightened during the tummy tuck and the other can be placed deep in the abdomen in the area where the hysterectomy was performed.  Also, be sure to ask if your PS performs the "Hollywood Tuck".  This is an advanced tummy tuck that does not require drains post-op.  Please let me know if you need any more information.

Tummy tuck with hysterectomy

Combining a tummy tuck with hysterectomy can be done. It requires proper preop evaluation and coordination with two surgeons. Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon