I have enlargement in my boobs from too much testosterone and I was wondering if there's any way to get this to go down?

Doctor Answers 7

Addressing Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery. Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Testosterone dependent gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice, before considering surgical treatment of testosterone dependent gynecomastia I recommend you consult an endocrinologist, to give you a proper clinical treatment to normalize hormone levels. Subsequently, the endocrinologist must send us some letter saying that you are ok for surgery.

Respectfully,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 307 reviews

Treatment of Gynecomastia with increased Testosterone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
With gynecomastia, the firstling that needs to be done is to determine the cause. When the cause is known, it then needs to be treated. If, in your case, increased testosterone is the cause, you need to see an endocrinologist to control the excess. Once this is done, the gynecomastia may resolve. If, after a reasonable time, it does not, then you should seek consultation with a plastic surgeon to talk about surgical options to correct the breast enlargement.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Testosterone and large breasts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If your primary problem is a hormone issue, an evaluation by an endocrinologist should be indicated.  There may also be a role for surgical treatment.

I have enlargement in my boobs from too much testosterone and I was wondering if there's any way to get this to go down

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In the majority of cases, once the breast tissue is developed, it requires surgery to remove it. Stopping the testosterone will keep it form getting bigger but will not make it all go away.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Too much testosterone can alter the size of your breasts.  It is difficult to tell if surgery would be necessary to help you.  If you are taking testosterone supplements, perhaps you should stop and see if anything happens.  If you have an endocrine disorder, you should definitely be treated for this by an endocrinologist.

Enlargement of breasts?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hell dontcare13. I recommend you seek a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and discuss your medical history, hormone use, and desired goal for your breasts. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.