I am 80 and recently my hair has thinned. I am allergic to Rogaine and want to try HairMax, low-level Laser Therapy.

I have androgenetic alopecia, inherited female pattern baldness. I like the simple convenience of HairMax. Would you recommend it?

Low level light therapy- comb or cap?

Low laser light therapy (LLLT) certainly is a nice non-invasive option to combat hair loss.  Rather than the comb you may feel more comfortable using a laser cap.  There is not enough data to support laser hair loss treatment with a comb or brush. The new caps are light weight and can free up your hands so you can go about your day.  This is important as treatment requires using the cap 3 times a week for 20 minutes.  A few drawbacks are, it may not give you the results you are looking for and the cost of the cap.  Consider consulting with a hair transplant specialist.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss at 80 years old

I strongly recommend the hairmax laser comb.  The only disadvantage I can think of is that some patients feel fatigue when using it and holding their arm above their head for 15 minutes.  You may find the capillus a little easier to use.  You can also consult with a hair loss expert about PRP.  I find it to be a tremendous options for many of my patients.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Best Treat Options for Hair Loss--prp and progesterone

This is difficult to answer from pictures.Hair Max may not give you the results you want. I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation if needed. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Laser Comb

The laser comb is probably the best of the lasers out there; however, it may not get you what you want. Scalp Micropigmentation will make your hair look much fuller and we have done these procedures (non-surgical) on a dozen or so 80 year olds and two 90+ year olds as well. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

LLLT for Hair loss in 80

LLLT devices are generally s safe but you may or may not see a response. Keep in mind that hair loss that recently develops in a female age 80 year is unlikely female pattern hair loss. This type of hair loss starts in the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s. See a physician specializing in hair loss if things don't improve.