I had a bridge put in about a month ago now my gum is has like a big dent. What do I do? (photos)

Doctor Answers 3

Bone Loss Under Bridge

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What you are seeing is bone loss under your bridge.  When the tooth was extracted was it bone grafted?  How long has it been missing?  This will not get any better and could potentially get worse over time.  I would see a gum and bone specialist for an evaluation to see if you could have a ridge augmentation and potential dental implant.  This process would take a couple of surgeries and at least a year to complete.  Good luck.  

Bridge and dent in jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

first question was the bridge made after a new or fresh extraction.   If the extraction occurred without a bone graft , it is not uncommon , for the tooth extraction site to shrink and the jaw actually collapses in that area where the tooth formally was.   Without a tooth in the jaw the density and mass of the jaw in that area of the tooth atrophys Similar to muscles that are not excercised.   If the defect or dent bothers you, you Can have the defect repaired by bone grafting.

Richard Sprague, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

You appear to have an infection ... #DrSarahThompson

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would suggest returning to you dentist for an examination.  You appear to have an infection that could be superficial or possibly could be an abscess. It is important to have it checked out soon, so your doc can treat with surgery and possibly incision and drainage.  I hope this helps.  Click "save" under my name, if you'd like to ask me more questions in the future.  

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.