7 months post gynecomastia reduction. Left chest looks awkward when I flex. Loose skin? (Photo)

So I am 19 years old. 7 months ago I got beast reduction surgery and my right chest turned out fine but my left chest unfortunately didn't. My question is if whether this is loose skin, excess fat or excess tissue. I just want to know why my chest is like this. My chest looks normal when I don't flex so I don't think it's tissue gland but i don't know for sure. If this requires another operation to fix how much would it cost? If this is loose skin will it ever tighten? Thank you very much

Gynecomastia, male breast reduction.

Thank you for your question and pictures regarding gynecomastia surgery.
DIAGNOSIS: It appears from your pictures that a disproportionate amount of excess male breast tissue and/or fat was removed on your left side. The skin above the resection is trying to contract; however, underneath this area of skin, the foundation of the breast has been removed. This is why the skin appears normal in repose, but appears tethered when you flex.

SOLUTION: Until you are 12 months after surgery, I would suggest conservative treatment. I would suggest continuing chest compression to maximize skin contracture. If after 12 months nothing has changed, I would suggest revision gynecomastia surgery. This revision surgery would entail two objectives. The first objective would be to release the scar adhering the depressed skin to the underlying tissue. The second step would be to add foundation to the nipple areolar complex graft with autologous fat grafting. During autologous fat grafting, fat is taken from one part of the body and transferred to another. In your case, it may be possible to take fat from your abdomen or inner thigh and transfer it to your left breast. Dissecting the underlying scar and autologous fat grafting can be performed during the same procedure.

Good luck. Thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia surgery and possible revision gynecomastia surgery. If you have any questions, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

Possible Asymmetry During Healing

Possible complications resulting from gynecomastia surgery -

• Asymmetry during the healing process (which appears to be experienced in your photos)
  • Lumps or firmness under skin
  • Prolonged swelling (edema)
  • Skin Pigment changes
  • Prolonged redness of the incision

If you find that you are uncomfortable or concerned about the asymmetry which you are experiencing after your procedure it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the are examined for proper healing. There is always a chance that this can happen during the healing process, while it can also take up to about 18 months for scars, muscles and skin to completely mature and settle after surgery. You may still be healing. Good luck!

Fat grafting

You may need fat grafting and scar release.
Dr. Blau who responded would be a good choice to discuss your options with.

Fine an experienced surgeon to correct it

How should I choose a surgeon? Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Reasonable results

You have gotten a reasonable results; maybe a little over resection under the nipples but not horrible. The deformity you create when flexing is to be expected as you remove the overlying fat, flexing your muscles will be more evident on your skin. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

7 months post gynecomastia reduction. Left chest looks awkward when I flex. Loose skin?

The result can be improved in a couple of ways.

Beverly Hills, CA.....................

Skin or tissue

Thank you for the question and photos but an examination is needed to evaluate your chest so go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD