I went for my second Juvederm lip fillers and I was told I needed to dissolve the previous one I had done a month ago (Photo)

After my first juvederm appointment, I felt that I didn't see much of a difference in lip size So I scheduled my second appointment yesterday. I was told that the previous doctor had injected in the wrong area above my lip causing my upper lip to protrude and that I needHyaluronidase before I could get a second syringe. I was told it was a common mistake made by doctor. Is this easily resolvable? would I need more than one appointment to fix the problem?

Problem Lip Protrusion

It's difficult to determine from your pictures why there is need to dissolve, but yes, it can be resolved with Hyaluronidase if necessary. There would need to be some time between dissolving and the second procedure. However, you can try a different filler (Voluma, Restylane, belotero) which can give you great results. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Removing filler in lip prior to placing more?

I don't see the reason for the the dissolving but an in person evaluation is needed. If there are lumps, these need dissolving. Too much in the wrong areas also needs dissolving. You can't add filler at the same time as dissolving filler and 2 visits are need then. You could seek out another opinion if you like.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

I went for my second Juvederm lip fillers and I was told I needed to dissolve the previous one I had done a month ago

endlesslym,

Lip augmentation is an injection procedure to improve symmetry, volume, or contour of the lips. Facial fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, and Belotero are safe products to use in the lips. The nice thing about these fillers is that they are reversible by injecting an enzyme called hyaluronidase to dissolve filler. This is used to remove unwanted volume. 

Since you don't see much of a difference from the first injection, I'm not sure what would be dissolved. I believe you can go ahead and have a second injection. That being said, I would need to examine you to make the clearest recommendation. With the second syringe, it's important to stay conservative. Too much filler can be worse than underfilling. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm

If you would like additional filler put in I don't see why you would have to first dissolve the existing filler.  It may not have been placed optimally, but that shouldn't preclude you from having more product injected.  

Camille Cash, MD

I cannot tell from the photos why there is a need for your filler to be dissolved. I do not see a reason to dissolving the filler. You can have more filler injected on top of the previous injection. Unless you do not like your look I do not see a reason for having the Juvederm dissolved. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm for lips

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I do see that the filler you have had was not placed optimally, but I do not think you need to have it dissolved prior to proceeding with additional injections. What it really comes down to is how you feel about your current result. If you really do not like the fullness above the lip, this can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. It generally does requires multiple sessions to fully dissolve the product. If you are satisfied with your current result but desire more volume in your lips, I recommend having a small amount of additional filler placed directly within the body of the lip (i.e., the pink area). This is a technique that requires a well-trained eye, so please see an expert dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm in the lip taken out?

My apologies, but I do not appreciate any deformation or deformity of the lips in your after photos. In general, we do not dissolve the filler if it looks good and you want more filler injected.

Arian Mowlavi, MD