How can I get rid of leg veins? (photos)

Im only 16 but my legs are covered with veins. Theyre not varicose veins or spider veins. Theyre more like reticular veins. Is there any kind of treatment for this?

Doctor Answers 4

Spider veins on the legs

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Small spider veins can be improved with a combination protocol that includes pulsed dye laser and microsclerotherapy. You may benefit by waiting until you are older before initiating these treatments. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Reticular Veins in Teenagers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I recommend that you get a venous Duplex scan (ultrasound and Doppler) to determine if you have venous insufficiency and start taking bioflavonoids (Varicosamin is a good product). I recommend that you wear stockings If you have venous insufficiency, that can and should be treated with either EVLT, VNUS Closure or ClariVein. Read ebooks provided on the link below. 

Leg Vein Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Joolay.  We agree with Dr. Landi's suggestion.  For the deeper veins, sclerotherapy is going to be the best option, especially if you are not having any pain, numbness or tingling.  If Mom or Dad have vascular issues (especially varicose veins) then this will likely be an ongoing concern for you as the veins tend to recur and also get worse as you age.  

For examples of before and after pictures for Orange County, CA vein removal patients, check the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
What your picture shows are reticular veins which are blue feeding veins. Since you are only 16, most likely these are due to to a genetic predisposition. There are several options including support hose which I doubt you will wear at age l6.  The best option would be sclerotherapy.  You should see a vein specialist.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.