How much would it cost to repair a drooped eyelid?

When I was young, I fell and hit my eye which made it droop down a little. My parents thought it wasn't bad enough to go to the hospital so I grew up with a dropped eyelid. Would insurance cover this? If not, how much would it cost to repair it?

Eyelid repair

consult an optometrist who can perform a visual field examination on you to determine if you do have ptosis. If it is significant enough, insurance may cover it. 

Cost of Drooped Eyelid Repair

Thanks for your question. The surgical repair may be covered by insurance, if the droop is severe enough  to block your field of vision.  If the droop is not severe enough for it to be covered by insurance, the surgeons fee will vary depending on the surgeon's reputation , skill and the degree of difficulty of the repair. I regret that I am not able to give you a price range.  You will also need to factor in a fee for the facility or place where the surgery will be performed.  I either case,  I would recommend that you consult with an oculoplastic specialist skilled in the evaluation and treatment of traumatic ptosis ( droopy eyelid). I wish you the best.

Edward H. Bedrossian, Jr., MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cost of Droopy Eyelid Repair

Hello 'jn3d2y', thanks for your question.  There are so many variables that are unknown that it would be difficult to give you any definitive answers at this stage.  Typically if you have a post-traumatic injury leading to a droopy eyelid, the surgical repair should be covered by insurance, especially if you can document blocking of your field of vision.  You would need to have a full examination to assess the severity of your problem and determine the source of drooping.  The findings would then need to be sent to your insurance carrier to see if they will cover it, which is variable from insurance to insurance.  If they deny it, then you will need to pay out of pocket for repair, which again depends on what surgery needs to be done and which doctor you consult with.  I would recommend starting with an oculoplastic specialist contracted with your insurance network and go from there.  Good luck!

Dear jn3d2y, i would suggest that you seek a consultation from an Oculoplastic surgeon and they will discuss cost and insurance coverage once an examination and diagnosis is made. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

$1000-1500 per eyelid sounds like a total bargain.

That is not a realistic price in major cities.  Typically you will spend much more than this with highly experienced surgeons.  Will you get better care with world famous surgeons based in Beverly Hills, New York City, Miami, versus surgeons who practice in smaller communities with lower costs?  You will have to decide that for yourself.  Generally, if the ptosis is severe enough, it will be covered by health insurance.  Often, the reconstructive surgeon delivering the service under health insurance is much more focused on the functional result rather that a functional and cosmetic result.  In fact, for medicare, surgeons are no longer permitted to provide anything but a functional result.  Look for highly qualified surgeons and decide for yourself if a purely functional result will be adequate or if it worth spending more to get both a functional and aesthetic result.  For a young person, I do not think that the best aesthetic result is a luxury.  You have a long life ahead of you and you need the possible result.  Unfortuately, we are initially judged on our appearance.  You are doing the right thing looking to take care of this issue.

Droopy eyelid after trauma

Hi there, it sounds like you might have a condition called ptosis of the eyelid. During trauma it is possible that the muscle that elevated the eyelid can be injured and partially separated from the piece of cartilage in the eyelid that allows the muscle to raise it. Often changing the muscle attachment to the eyelid can better align the eyelid.My recommendation is that you seek a consultation with an Oculoplastic surgeon. If you do have this problem, it should be covered by insurance.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mechanically injured droopy eyelid

A droopy eyelid is covered by insurance. Please make an appointment with a specialist so that your injury can be pinpointed so that you know what's wrong with your eye.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Cost to repair droopy eyelid

The costs vary by type of repair and whether not anesthesia, beyond local injection, is needed. Insurance may cover it if your vision is affected. Otherwise, expect to pay $1000-1500 per eye if done in an office setting under local anesthetic. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon