Am I balding? (Photos)

I recently shaved my entire head just for the heck of it. It was then that I noticed that the hairs on the corners/temple area of my head were more sparse than the rest of my head. I've always had a very prominent widows peak. If I am balding are there any natural ways to slow down or stop the process as I really dont want to use chemicals with bad potential side effects. I'm only 18 and dont understand how I could be losing hair so early when my older brother still has a full head of hair. Thanks

Doctor Answers 4

Hairline maturation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you are worried, be sure to see a physician specializing in hair loss.

You most likely have some hairline maturation. 

Vancouver Dermatologist

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest seeing an expert for a formal evaluation.  This can be treated or improved with preventative options. Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

Male pattern thinning or not

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Bobdum.

You would be considered young to have male pattern thinning however it depends on a few factors including diet, stress, metabolism, family history amongst other things.  There is something called triangular alopecia that can occur and is stable until mid 30s to 40s. I advise finding a Dermatologist that specializes in hair loss disorders in your area to see if it is reversible and the best options for you at your age. Good luck. 

Nikki D. Hill, MD, FAAD
Tucker Dermatologic Surgeon

You might also like...

Am I balding?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.