What Should I Do with my Gap, Implant or Braces?

Hi,I have a triangular gap in the bottom of my two front teeth like 5mm between the gum and 4mm top of the teeth. I happen to have this gap due to two missing teeth, which was cause by twin teeth when i had in youth. The orthodontist advice me to get implant but it was bit off my budget and i heard there is severe failure in this tech as well. So I would really well prefer braces however I heard bottom teeth are harder to move and the gap might not close completely. Seeking for advice, thx

Doctor Answers 3

Closing Space Between Your Teeth May Give You an Over Bite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In an ideal smile (one where the jaws are the same size, there is no crowding, and no overbite), there are an equal number of teeth in the top arch as there are in the bottom one. In order to maintain this normal relationship with two teeth missing on the bottom, you would need to either remove two matching ones in the top or add back the missing ones on the bottom. If you removed two in the top, you'd need braces in both arches to close all of the space braces currently run around $5000 to $7000. If you added an implant or two in the bottom, that may be the only treatment needed (but they run about $4000 a piece including the crown). There are other important factors to consider besides time and cost (like profile and lip position), so be sure and discuss all your options with an orthodontist so that you can make the choice that is best for you. Good luck!

Albuquerque Orthodontist

Missing teeth..what to do

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

if the space is only 4 or 5 mm you might be able to move the remaining two incisors so that equal spaces are around them and then bond or veneer these teeth to close the space...saving you the expense and trauma of a surgical implant and crown....hard to know for sure without more info!

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Gap, Implant or Braces

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would prefer a picture to give you a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. If that is possible that would really help to give you my best advice.

Best regards,

Dr. Jim Awbrey

James J. Awbrey IV, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.