Should I get a post op support bra, a simple zip front compression sports bra, or not wear a bra at all after my BA?

I am getting 350 CC "gummy bear" tear drop shaped implants under the muscle. I am very confused whether I should be purchasing a post op support bra, just a simple zip front compression sports bra, or if I should not be wearing a bra at all after my breast augmentation. I have been reading and I just keep seeing every answer under the sun. I want to reap the best results. What is the right choice for me?

Post-op Support Bra?

This is a question that's really best directed to the office of the surgeon that is doing your surgery. Most surgeons have their patients wear some type of support bra for a period of time after surgery and this will vary somewhat from surgeon to surgeon. A well run office will provide you with all the direction and support you should need to have a good surgical experience and optimal surgical result.

Post Op Bra

Thank you for your question. The first weeks following breast augmentation are an important stage of your recovery. Because of this, it’s essential for patients to wear a bra that provides support for the breasts throughout the first eight weeks of recovery, preventing the implants from falling to the sides or “bottoming out” (when the implants move unfavourably downward). Although this complication isn’t common, some patients develop weaker scar tissue, providing less internal support for the implant. Surgeons are unable to determine who is at risk for this issue until implant displacement occurs. Wearing a bra helps to provide extra support during the healing process. In my practice, some patients may receive extra support from a tensor bandage, wrapped around the chest at the top of the breasts. This bandage would be worn for the first two weeks. I provide a quality surgical bra. Some Plastic Surgeons will recommend a type or brand for you to purchase. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you.

All the best

Bra after breast augmentation?

There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to address this question directly to your plastic surgeon.
In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.
Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery. This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Sports bra

We use them and actually provide them for our patients. They front closure bras are not that easy to find but very convenient to put on and take off.

What to wear or not after breast augmentation?

Hi and thanks for your question. You will find many different opinions, the most important is your surgeon´s since he has experience in his personal way to treat after breast augmentation.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Advices for breast augmentation post op:

Thanks for the question.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bras

Ask your surgeon what he/she prefers. At my office two post surgery sports bras are provided (part of the quote given) to all my breast augmentation patients. Each surgeon may have a difference in opinions about what brand or type, but you should ask what they recommend. Best Of Luck. 

Bra

You should follow your surgeon's advice about what bra to use. Every surgeon has his/her preference for bras, especially with the gummy bear implants. My patients wear their surgical bras for 4 weeks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Support after breast augmentation

Yes, I definitely recommend support bra's after surgery for 6 weeks.  I have my patients wear it 24/7 for first 3 weeks, and only in day time for the last 3 weeks.

Chad Robbins, MD

Sport bra after breast augmentation?

The answer to this question is going to be as variable as many plastic surgeons answer it. I can only tell you what I tell my patients. For the first six weeks do not wear any formed fitting bras- either jog bra or a cami top. We would not want upward displacement of the breast implant that would disallow it from migrating  to the bottom of the pocket.  As the tension of the pectoralis muscle relaxes certainly, ask your plastic surgeon for their recommendation and follow them. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS