I am unsure what kind of bra I should be using for after my breast augmentation.

I am getting 350 CC "gummy bear" implants. My doctor said to save money, I can just buy a cheap zip front sports bra from WalMart. However, I have spoken to friends who have had this procedure done, and they say hands down I should invest in a more expensive post op support bra. I want to do everything perfectly in my recovery so I will reap the best results. What should I do?

Depends on surgeon's preference

It depends on your surgeon. Some surgeons recommend wearing a snug fitting compression bra, while others don’t recommend any kind of breast support after surgery. Your surgeon may not require you to wear anything that provides significant support.

Post op bra

Every doctor has different post op instructions so you should ask your surgeon what would work for you.
The dressings vary from patient to patient. Some patients may be placed in a sports bra; others will wear a stabilizing elastic support strap. Your doctor will decide after surgery and in subsequent weeks, which dressing will suit your needs and how long you would need to wear them.

Support bra after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  As you stated, you will find varying opinions on postop instructions for breast augmentation, and really after any surgery.  In reality, the sports bra or support bra probably provides little to no protection against the breast implants being dislodges.  I do recommend my patients wear a sports bra for several weeks following surgery simply because I believe it provides some support that may make patients more comfortable.  I recommend you follow your surgeon's instructions to optimize your results and not necessarily seek opinions to the contrary online.  Best wishes!

Follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon. Store bought sports bras can be just as supportive as any of the more expensive post-surgical bras. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Post Augmentation Bra

Every surgeon has his/her own technique for surgery which impacts the postoperative care and garment selection. Since you have decided to entrust your care to this surgeon to perform your surgery, you should follow all of his or her postoperative guidelines for care to get the best possible outcome.

What kind of bra I should be using for after my breast augmentation.

There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras.
In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.
Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery. This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Bra after Breast Augmentation

I would have to agree with your surgeon and that's exactly what we recommend for our patients. In my opinion, the last thing you want to do is push with an upward pressure on a brand-new breast augmentation thus disallowing the implant to drop to the bottom of the pocket. There is absolutely no scientific data that any type of bra is better than another in the early postoperative phase. Get the cheap one. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS