If I have more children in the future, will I have to get my implants replaced or redone?

Future pregnancies always run the risk of undoing breast augmentation results.

It’s entirely possible that you could have a future pregnancy and not feel that it messes up your breast augmentation results, but there’s no guarantee this won’t happen. Many times, women have breast implants and a subsequent pregnancy stretches the breasts and results in sagging that must later be corrected. You could go ahead with your surgery and hope for the best with a future pregnancy, but if you truly want to avoid the need for a revision surgery, I’d recommend you wait until you’re certain your childbearing years are behind you. Best of luck to you. 

Breast Augmentation and Pregnancy

While pregnancy and breastfeeding are not affected by breast augmentation, they may change the shape of your augmented breasts. This is not, however, a hard a fast rule. The best approach is to consult with a highly qualified, board certified plastic surgeon who can better asses your situation.

Pregnancy and breast augmentation

Pregnancy can cause the breasts to enlarge and involute afterwards. It is difficult to predict how they will be impacted by pregnancy.

Thank you for your excellent question.  Though one may may assume that your breast skin will develop some increased sagging as a result of the changes that take place during pregnancy, some patient's skin holds up well and they return to their former appearance. With time and gravity most women with and without implants will need a revision surgery in the future, normally a breast lift. Hope this helps. 

Breast redo from pregnancy

The answer to your question is a great big "maybe". If you have pregnancies in the future there is certainly more chance than the average patient that your breasts might change in a way that you want to redo your breasts. However, many patients go through childbearing without the adverse effects on their breasts. So "maybe". Good luck.

Pregnancy after breast implants.

It sounds like maybe you have already had children. If so, then The answer really depends on a few factors. If your breasts simply got deflated after your first pregnancies and you were able to get by with an augmentation alone (as opposed to an augmentation with a lift) then another pregnancy may not change things much. Women with very little breast tissue who don't gain too much weight usually fair additional pregnancies pretty well. 

Mary Gingrass, MD

More kids and breats imp[lants

whether you need to have them re done depends on how you respond to your pregnancy.If your breast get overly large they may droop post pregnancy and you may lose volume mand may need to have them lifted.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

There are no absolute rules or ways to prevent…

Unfortunately there is no way to predict exactly how a patient's breasts will change after pregnancy. A good indication may be to evaluate the changes that occurred with your mother's breasts after her pregnancies (although this is not foolproof either). It may be helpful to keep your weight as stable as possible (under the guidance of your OB/GYN) to prevent significant changes with the breasts related to the weight changes.
You should also consider postponing having the breast augmentation if you think you may have pregnancies in the near future.

Anecdotally, in our practice, we have seen many patients have pregnancies, and not require additional breast surgery subsequently.   On the other hand, we've seen many patients who experienced classic post partum breast changes such as decreased breast tissue volume (" involutional hypoplasia") and/or breast sagging ("ptosis"). 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to post pregnancy concerns), helps.

Thank you for your question.  In general, pregnancy and breastfeeding will contribute to increased breast deflation and sagging.  This is usually corrected with a breast lift (mastopexy).  In this situation, implants may or may not have to be replaced depending on a number of factors.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS