Will my breasts appear larger in time or smaller in time after my implants finally fall into place?

Larger or smaller with time

The size should really not change with time since the implants don't shrink but over time your breast tisssue will diminish.What does change more is the shape not so much size.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I typically find that after the skin and muscle stretch out to accommodate the implants that they look larger.

Breasts when descend

It's not that they will appear larger, they will fill out the lower pole more. Also you may have significant swelling and that may decrease the perceived volume.

Thank you for your question and photograph, and it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest. Though they will not get bigger, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance, and filling your bra cup more. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Breast size

It takes 4-6 months for your breast to finally settle down.
In the beginning your implants will ride high then drop into the pocket. Once they drop your lower pole will round out. The swelling from surgery will subside in 2-3 months.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Implant appearance after augmentation

Your breast appearance after augmentation will change during the first 3-6months. They will start high and have some swelling then the implants will begin their inferior decent. You will notice some decrease in upper pole fill and more fill inferiorly. People will often feel like their breasts have gotten smaller but what has happened is the implants have just moved to a lower position where they will stay long term. Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play. You may be pleasantly surprised wants to be "drop and fluff" phenomenon has occurred. You may also be happier once the swelling AROUND the breast implants dissipates and the implants' shape and projection become more visible. Patients often report that they are happier with the cleavage area once these changes occur also.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period" during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.

In your case, I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.