Would my four week old daughter benefit from an ear well or will her curly cartilage war straighten out with time? (photos)

Ear molding for wavy or curly ear cartilage

Ear molding with an EarWell can definitely help smooth and reshape the appearance of wavy or curly ear cartilage in a newborn. 

Ear molding is usually started before 1 month of age for best results and lasts about 6 weeks. 

We perform ear molding at our office and have gotten great natural-appearing results with no surgery. Click on the link below for before and after photos. 

EarWell treatment for curly ear cartilage

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter and thank you for your question!

I recommend that you seek out an EarWell physician who can assist you with treatment as soon as possible. The EarWell Infant Ear Correction Device is definitely an option to correct both the curly part of your daughter's helical rim (the outside curve of the ear), plus the conchal crus (the horizontal strip of raised cartilage in the centre of the ear). Because the EarWell device is most effective in the first days or weeks of life it is important to seek an appointment as soon as you can, because delaying treatment will reduce the effectiveness of treatment and will increase the length of time that the ear molding needs to be conducted for. Good luck with your search.

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Would my four week old daughter benefit from an ear well or will her curly cartilage war straighten out with time?

Thank you for your question and photograph. I would seek out a local physician with experience in ear molding. Your baby is young enough that she could benefit from molding devices in order to avoid corrective surgery in the future. One of your best resources may be the plastic surgery department at your local children's hospital. Hope this helps