How long does it take for soreness and swelling to go away after Tumescent lipo?

I just had touch- up lipo on my whole back/ lower flanks/ bra rolls, just 3 days ago, I'm so sore that I can't get comfortable at nite to sleep, how long does that soreness take to go away, plus the swelling?

Liposuction healing

I typically tell my patients that they will start seeing results 4-6 weeks post surgery. After three days, you are likely still swollen. You can also start massaging the areas treated to help any residual swelling. Small circular motions to start and massage deeper if it you don't have any discomfort.

Pain after liposuction

• The back does hurt after liposuction,
  • Ask your surgeon about using ibuprofen or a muscle relaxant prescription - these often help more than pain medicine,
  • Soreness usually is gone by 5-6 days but for a redo liposuction, it can take longer.
  • Sorry it hurts so much but it will subside. Best wishes.

How long does discomfort and swelling last after liposuction?

It can take quite a bit of time for swelling to go away depending on the area for liposuction, sometimes several months.  Certainly wearing your compression garment, avoiding salty foods, keeping extremities elevated, and lymphatic massage drainage can help relieve some of the swelling--but ultimately it takes time and patience (which is difficult we know!). The soreness is common especially after a repeat liposuction procedure.  Because there is often scarring after a previous liposuction, any secondary lipo procedures may result in more significant swelling and discomfort than previous surgery.  Taking your prescribed pain medication should help and following up with your surgeon for evaluation and management of pain should help. Feel better and hang in there!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after liposuction- How long does soreness last?

liposuction of abdomen, thighs, back, or any other area creates much post-liposuction inflammation which results in swelling and soreness. post-liposuction inflammation can continue for up to 8-12 months. early massaging helps to reduce inflammation, increase circulation, and reduce skin irritation.

Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Pain and swelling after Liposuction

Everybody's recovery is different. It typically takes 7 to 14 days for the majority of the swelling to resolve the and pain should resolve over 3 to 4 weeks. The residual minor swelling will resolve over three months. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS