My CBC test states my hemoglobin is 12.7 but it also states my RDW is high 16.1? What does this mean?
1 year ago
My RDW is high 16.1 would this prevent me from getting my mommy make over and bbl surgery?
Doctor Answers 1
Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over lab tests.
- The hemoglobin determines the presence of anemia - if 12.7 is below the lab's range it is still very near normal.
- The RDW indicates distribution of red cells and helps diagnose the cause of an anemia.
- It is likely your iron is a tiny bit low -
- It should not affect your ability to safely have surgery.
- Ask your surgeon to confirm this.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as
a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you
have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute
or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.