My CBC test states my hemoglobin is 12.7 but it also states my RDW is high 16.1? What does this mean?
Doctor Answers 1
Mommy make-over - are my lab tests ok?
- The hemoglobin determines the presence of anemia - if 12.7 is below the lab's range it is still very near normal.
- The RDW indicates distribution of red cells and helps diagnose the cause of an anemia.
- It is likely your iron is a tiny bit low -
- It should not affect your ability to safely have surgery.
- Ask your surgeon to confirm this.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.