Breast skin too thin for a lift?

I would like to get a breast lift with no augmentation, but the breast skin feels so thin, I worry it won't be strong enough for the incision to hold. I am 53 years old.

Lipo-lift

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

It takes about 6 weeks to heal on average and I wait 12 months before any scar revision 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Candidate - Is Breast Skin too Thin

Candidates for Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) surgery are women who have #saggingbreasts due to past pregnancies, genetics, or aging. Often times the sagging is too great to be treated by implants alone. Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume. One side can be tightened more or less than another.

The women that are candidates for #breastlift– include:

A woman who’s had a pregnancy. Maybe her breasts have become either just deflated, or the skin has been stretched from pregnancy, and or breastfeeding. And now is in a lower position than she would like. So, by doing the breast lift, we can tighten the breast, tighten the breast skin, and put it into a more youthful position.

The other category is patients who have had weight loss, again, through either diet or surgical procedure. And a lot of women, when they lose weight, their breasts will lose weight, and they, again, may have some sagging of their breasts.

And then there’s a third category, which are #DevelopmentalBreastProblems.  I see young women that come to the office, and the two breasts are very asymmetric. One breast is lower than the other. There may be differences in size. Or there are certain conditions: one’s called tuberous breast deformity, where the breast has a more unusual shape. It may be very narrow at the base on the chest. The whole breast can be very narrow. There are different variations of it. But basically, that’s a growth and development problem that creates a lot of angst for a young woman.

Breast skin too thin for a lift?

In general, patients who request the procedure of breast lift have weakened skin as a fundamental issue that is leading to the droop.  This would not usually be an issue.

Not a contraindication

During a properly performed breast lift, the skin as well as the underlying breast tissue are modified to achieve a perkier contour. Therefore, having skin thin shouldn’t be a contraindication for a breast lift, unless it interferes with incision healing. This is rare. The only concern is that your breasts may sag at a faster rate even after the surgery when compared to someone with thicker skin.

Breast skin too thin for a lift?

I have never seen a case where the skin was too thin to perform a mastopexy in my 23 years in practice. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an exam and full discussion of your particular case. They will give you recommendations based on your exam and goals. You may consider more than one consultation.  Best wishes. 

Janet Woodyard, MD

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for the question. Unless you have some underlying condition involving a weakness of the skin there should not a problem with the skin being strong enough. Sometimes, patients who have lost a lot of weight can have skin elasticity problems. This is also not a reason to be worried about having the surgery performed. 

A typical breast lift takes about 2 hours to complete under full anesthesia. Most patients need a week off of work, and about 4-6 weeks out of the gym. 

An in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will be the best option to help answer your questions and concerns. 

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

You would have to be seen in person to determine the quality of your tissues. If the tissues are very thin, it can lead to early rebound laxity.

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  A breast lift can be designed to result in an improved shape and contour of your breasts while minimizing scar appearance  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. No patient is unable to not have a breast lift because of their thin skin. The lift actually repositions the breast to a more youthful location on the chest wall and, with internal suspension and shaping sutures, is further supported to reduce the tension on the skin. A lift also allows some reduction in the skin and reshaping whereby this generally allows excellent long-term results. Thin skin, however, may yield contour irregularities that may occur after the breast lift does occur. These can certainly be improved with fat transfer which can be performed at a later time if needed. Please view the attached video describing breast lift surgery. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast skin too thin for a lift?

Thank you for your question.  And in person examination or at least photographs are necessary to provide you with a meaningful answer.  It is true that some patients with very thin skin are prone to recurrence of sagging following breasts left with or without implants.  Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an examination.