Would a mini or full tummy tuck better serve me? (photo)

Hello! I asked a question previously but would like to add additional photos, hoping they help with obtaining replies. I have had 3 children, and was told at a tummy tuck consultation that I was the perfect candidate for a mini TT. Since that consultation, I've had 2 more children. I am 34 years old, weigh 112 pounds and am 5' 3.5". I am not seeking a completely flat abdomen, I would just like the loose skin removed, and my tummy restored to its natural pre-pregnancy state.

Would a mini or full tummy tuck better serve me?

Thank you for your question and photographs.
Pregnancy can be very damaging to your tissues especially your abdominal wall. I have attached a link that briefly explains the problem and how to best "restore it to its natural pre-pregnancy state". I hope this helps.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck

Looking at your photos it is impossible to tell if you need just a "skin Only" tummy tuck or if there is some extra fat and muscle bulge that needs to be addressed.   You appear to be an excellent surgical candidate and I would expect you to get a nice correction from a tummy tuck.   Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon(s) for consultation to find out what your options are.   Good Luck!

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Would a mini or full tummy tuck better serve me

I thin a min tummy tuck with a small amount of liposuction might be a reasonable option for you, but it is hard to say without examining your muscles too

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In this regard, I recommend you a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.
Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck versus mini

It appears as though you'll need the standard tummy tuck.  A mini is reserved for those women who have a small pouch of skin just below the belly button and minimal looseness of the muscles.

Good luck!

Same question with me responses...

Based upon the "3" posted photo to hard to say! Best to seek a few in person opinions from boarded PSs in Gainesville>>>>>>>>

In general, the more loose skin that you have and the higher on your abdomen that you have loose skin, the longer the incision needs to be to remove the excess skin. I really believe that patients should think of it as a short scar versus a long scar tummy tuck. There are many different variations of the procedures, but the incision length is always dependent on the amount of loose skin. I only see a few patients a year that are actual candidates for a short incison.
From your pictures, I suspect that you will need a longer incision or what you describe as a full tummy tuck.

You look awesome, but to answer your questions...

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients. Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit. If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary. This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside. Most times, those muscles don’t go exactly back to where they were before. Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position. If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results. It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house.

The next question to address is what to do with your belly button. Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started). Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.

As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties. You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great. Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place. What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off? Hope this helps!

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  Based on your pictures alone, it appears that you would best be served with a full tummy tuck.  This will allow you to tighten your abdominal muscles and remove the most amount of excess skin and adipose tissue.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.

Thank you for your question.  After reviewing your photos, I think you would be best served with a full tummy tuck in order to achieve the results you desire.  You should schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so you can discuss the various options.

John S. Poser, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon