How long after having a baby can I get vaginoplasty surgery?

I just had my 3rd baby 2 months ago and i have noticed my vagina looks wider and feel loose. Im considering having vaginoplasty. How long after postpartum can i get the surgery

Vaginoplasty After Childbirth

Thank you for your question. If you are considering having more children then I would wait to have the vaginoplasty surgery performed and consider a non-surgical option such as ThermiVa if you are a good candidate for the procedure based on your medical history and pelvic examination.  If you are not having anymore children then I always advise my patients to wait at least six months after delivery and nursing to allow for complete healing of your body.  All the best and enjoy your three children.

Warm Regards,

Dr. John Serrao

Vaginoplasty after childbirth

If everything went well during the birth and recovery, the minimum time to wait is 3 months though it is a good idea to wait about 6 months to make sure all the tissue is back to its new baseline.  You may find things are not as lax as they were before.  Also, it is important to be sure you are finished with childbearing.

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Vaginoplasty after pregnancy

If you plan on having any more children you should hold off on having any vaginal tightening procedures until AFTER you are done having Children 
If you do not plan on getting pregnant again, I agree with my colleagues that by 3 months you may be healed enough UNLESS you are still breastfeeding or had extensive surgical  repairs during your vaginal delivery . In which case you should wait another 2-3 months. For temporary vaginal  tightening I agree with use of s CO2 laser such as Monalisa touch or Femilift 
which will provide some degree of tightening as well as improve vaginal  dryness which often accompanies the post partum period or time after delivery 

sincerely 
Celia M Mendes MD FACOG FAACS

Celia Mendes, MD
Fayetteville OB/GYN

When can I have a vaginal tightening procedure after childbirth?

Hello Eliel2,

I agree with my colleague Dr. Miklos from Atlanta. We do the same thing on the West Coast. Wait until ~3-4 months to consult, but wait until at least 6-9 months to surgical repair for a variety of reasons. If you are nursing, I would advise 2-3 months of intra-vaginal estrogen therapy prior to your surgery (no- it won't affect either a male of female child), as nursing significantly depresses the body's estrogen levels for 6-9 months after childbirth. If you will be having another child in the future, and wish a temporary form of tightening until you can have a definitive surgical repair after your last child, this is a good usage of fractional CO2 laser technology (aka FemiLift). I have been performing pelvic floor surgery for 40 years, and specifically sexually designed vagino-perineplasty for almost 20... Check the weblink below if you wish for additional info, and- BEST WISHES!

Michael P Goodman MD
Davis, CA, USA

Vaginoplasty after pregnancy

Vaginoplasty is a misnomer: most procedures are designed to adjust the contours of the labia for cosmetic and comfort reasons.  Some unscrupulous practitioners offer "tightening" procedures which only address the opening of the vagina and do not really have any long term effects.  True "vaginoplasty" requires tightening of the muscular tube that forms the vaginal walls.  This is a rather involved procedure that is reserved for women whose vaginal muscular rings have torn or have scars. This true vaginoplasty procedure invovles repair of the muscles of the pelvis and extends from the introitus (outermost vaginal area) deep into the pelvis toward the cervix.

Please consult a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has a great deal of experience in this arena. Beware of claims of "tightening" that only address the vaginal opening and not the whole muscular tube.

Three months after childbirth is sufficient for vaginoplasty

Most women are sufficiently recovered from vaginal childbirth to pursue vaginoplasty at 3 months after delivery. Exceptions would be those who experienced extensive suturing or those who are still breastfeeding. The latter group experiences a transient state of vaginal atrophy and should wait another 2-3 months to ensure optimal healing.

Vaginoplasty

Dear Elie12

There are not written rules to the timing of a vaginoplasty after childbirth but based upon our experience the natural restoration of a woman"s body after childbirth I recommend waiting 6 months allowing your uterus to involute ( get smaller) , your muscles to regain their tone and your hormones to normalize.  Having surgery prior to normalization in theory can lead to an increased failure of the surgery to attain normal vaginal tone for intercourse

I recommend waiting 6 months from your delivery  until time of surgery 2) choosing a surgeon who is well versed and has the experience, expertise and skills to achieve the best possible results. Choose a surgeon who has a great reputation for vaginal rejuvenation and vaginal surgery.   

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologists & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai