Kybella or neck/chin liposuction? (Photos)

My double chin is hereditary and has always been there no matter my weight or age (I am 28 currently) and makes m very self conscious. I'm only slightly over weight (10 lbs) at the moment. I am also planning a mommy makeover for sometime next year, and would add the liposuction to that procedure if it made more sense cost wise. Kybella has me on the fence because I have seen some results I would NOT be happy with and some I would love in my research.

Three options plus combination of the 3. #1 Continue weight loss til los another 30 + pounds. #2 Non surgical injections of KyBella fee in $900 rages per injection session. Moat would need 3 sessions thus fee costs $2,799+. With 18 week recovery to final results time frame. #3 Lipo of some type, I prefer SmartLipo with lipo under local anesthesia. Fee in $3,000+ ranges. Healing 2 weeks to final results. Best to see fa few MDs to discuss these options.....

Liposuction

Either would work for you, but given the fact that you are having liposuction with your Mommy Makeover, I would recommend that you do liposuction under the chin. I think you will be happiest with the results and the recovery will be less of an issue since you will already be needing to take time off for your Mommy Makeover. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Vs. Liposuction

From your photos, It seems you would be a good candidate for liposuction. I recommend the procedure using Vaser, which helps the skin retract. Kybella is the less invasive option, however, I think you would benefit more from liposuction. 

Hope this helps, 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician

Double Chin/Neck Laxity/Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

You need liposuction for improvement in not only fat removal but jawline contour.  Please see an expert for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella or liposuction

You are a great candidate for Kybella or liposuction based on your photos. That being said, you are already having surgery, and so as long as it is done at the same time, liposuction probably makes more sense for you. 

Kybella vs. Liposuction

Thanks for your question!  I actually get this question quite a bit and the answer is different for each person.  For you, because you will already be undergoing surgery, I would recommend having traditional chin liposuction.  This will also more likely be cheaper than a series of Kybella.  I would price out both options and discuss with your plastic surgeon for his/her recommendations.  Best of luck!

Kybella vs Lipo

You are a great candidate for both Kybella and Liposuction of your submental area since you are young and have very good skin tone and texture. Due to the larger area of submental fullness and the fact you are planning on a "mommy makeover" next year I would recommend Liposuction. You would need at least 3 Kybella treatments which would require more time for final result, and likely be more costly than chin liposuction. Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon experienced in chin liposuction. Best wishes. 

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella vs submental lipo vs other options

Thank you for your question. To treat the submental fat there are several procedures that you should consider. You should set up a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who is a member of ASPS and ASAPS to discuss what options will work best for you.  Kybella works well, however it is expensive and in my opinion will require 3 treatments based on your photos. You are looking at about $3,600 for 2 vials/ treatment. Coolsculpting mini can work well in this area for some patients. Liposuction of the submental can many times be performed under local sedation in the office and give very nice results. This being said from your photos it appears you have some of your fat under muscle in your neck which more appropriately could be excised by performing a neck lift. This is a larger surgical procedure than simply doing the liposuction, however it may be a better option for you to achieve your desired results. You should have a complete exam and consultation to explore your options. Good luck to you.

Double Chin

While Kybella is an excellent treatment for the fat under the chin area, the number of treatments you may require might make liposuction the better choice for you. If indeed you are having additional liposuction treatments in the upcoming future, it might also be better to include this along with your other treatments at that time. Best wishes.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Kybella versus liposuction

This is a great question and you will see several different approaches from different plastic surgeons and dermatologists. First kybella is chemical compound that causes lipolysis or breakdown of fat. Liposuction of the neck is a minor surgical procedure using 1-3 tiny 2 mm incisions to evacuate fat from the area. Having performed both procedures you need to know the  pros and cons of each. In your situation, based on your photos you will need at east 4 sessions of kybella one month apart each. Now here's the part that no one speaks about..... there is significant submental (chin/neck) swelling after each of these kybella procedures due to the intense chemical reaction. 

Your cumulative downtime each month is significant. So in your situation I would advise you to go for liposuction because the overall cost, down time and effectiveness of the procedure would be best. Liposution can be performed awake and with minimal down time and it is one procedure.

I advise my patients with less submetal fullness to go for kybella because usually it is only one or 2 procedures and minimal down time / swelling.

Good luck