Full or extended tummy tuck? (Photo)

I'm wondering if I would need just a full tummy tuck or an extended tummy tuck (based on pics)... I know it's hard to evaluate based on pics since you cannot feel, but I am curious anyway. I'm planning on setting up consultations soon and I want to get as much info as I can ahead of time.

Full or extended tummy tuck?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and pictures.

According with your pictures you would be an excellent candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, This operation which consists in the removal of excess skin and abdominal fat and muscle flaccidity correction. This situation of excess skin and relaxation of the abdominal wall is often in patients who have had weight gain and subsequent loss or inwomen who have had multiple pregnancies. Abdominoplasty get a flatter, firmer abdomen and a narrower waist.

Hope hear from you soon , best wishes!!

Tummy tuck scar length

Lean forward, relax your tummy, and feel how far to the side the loose tummy skin goes.  Your tummy tuck scar would need to be that same length (or a little longer) to remove all the loose skin.  For many people, that ends up being an extended approach.  But only an in-person exam can tell for sure.

Full or Extended Tummy Tuck

Now, the best thing to consider in the tummy tuck procedure you receive is the final results you desire. It is up to you in deciding your procedure with your surgeon beforehand. 

A variety of tummy tucks are available. Patients who only need a tightening of the abdominal muscles or removal of a small amount of skin may be best treated with a “mini-tuck.” Patients who have undergone massive weight loss, on the other hand, will probably require more extensive surgery.

An abdominoplasty is usually done under general anesthesia. An incision is made along the lower abdomen at about the pubic hair line, and another incision is made around the belly button which stays attached to the muscle.

Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar).

Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair.

Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits. (Standard scar).

Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.)

Tummy tuck candidate

Thank you for your question. You appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck  procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance.  We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

You need a full but everyone does it differently

In my hands, I would tell you to expect the scar to start where your skin begins to spill over on your hip. I don't really consider that "extended," but the more skin you are getting rid of, the longer the scar. You have a lot of skin to get rid of, so you'll have a longer scar.  I would encourage you to lose a bit more weight before surgery too though -- it will make your results better and reduce the risk of surgery.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Full or extended tummy tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question. You are correct that an examination of your tissues is very important in determining whether or not a full, extended or even circumferential tummy tuck, is needed. I do know that you will get a very nice result from a full tummy tuck, but will need flank possibly back and upper abdomen liposuction to get optimum results. 

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Full or extended tummy tuck

Hello, thanks for your pictures and for your inquiry. You would do fine with just a full tummy tuck and liposuction in waist, flanks and maybe lower back. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hi there,

I think you would be a great candidate for a standard abdominoplasty.

Your excess skin does not appear to extend around to your back meaning you don't need an extended abdominoplasty or body lift procedure.

A tummy tuck would remove your excess skin, and tighten your abdominal. It is likely you would need some liposuction for additional contouring.

Best wishes

Richard

Full or extended tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture, it looks that you are a good candidate for a Based on the picture, it looks that you are a good candidate for a  Standard Tummy tuck, which will give you a flat abdomen and will remove most of the  excess skin. And I would suggest a Liposculpting of the waist to give a better contour to the body.

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

I recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD