Am I an eligible candidate for a Breast Reduction? (Photos)

Some context, I am 25, 4'11 and 140-150 lbs. For years I've struggled physically ( e.g. back pain, the occasional rash) and mentally ( e.g. self esteem, identify as genderqueer) from the size of my breast. While I feel like a reduction is warranted I'm looking for a surgeons perspective, basically at a frist glance is a breast reduction even a possiblity. I also want to loose weight so should I hold off a consult ion before I reach my desired level of fitness? Thanks

Breast Reduction Candidate

Breast reduction surgery may be a wonderful operation for a woman who has large breasts and pain in her neck, her back, and/or her shoulders and wants breasts that look shapely and proportional.  Typically the nipples are moved up to, or a little above, the level of the breast crease, the areolas are reduced, and a moderate or even substantial amount of breast tissue is removed.   Most women find that their symptoms are reduced or even eliminated and their breasts look great.   Breast reduction is not a great operation for a woman who wants to wear a specific cup size after surgery.   Bras bought from Victoria's Secret may be different than bras bought from Macy's or Target or Nordstrom, so it's not really possible to tell a woman exactly what bra size she will wear after breast reduction surgery.  Having said that, women do want to look proportional, with the breasts matching the hips and shoulders and overall look.  So, the amount removed may be tailored a bit, depending on what a woman hopes to achieve as well as the size and shape of the breasts she starts with.  In the US, insurance companies frequently won't cover breast reduction surgery unless about 500 grams (a little more than a pound) of tissue will be removed from each breast.  That may vary, but that's a baseline number commonly used by insurance.  Looking at the photographs you've provided, it's hard to say if you'd be happy with the result of 500 grams being removed.  It might make your breasts a little smaller than you'd optimally want, but it's hard to tell by just looking at photographs.  That's not to say you wouldn't benefit if some amount less than 500 grams were to be removed from each breast.  It might be possible to remove less than that and you might still have great improvements in back pain and rashes as well as breasts that look great.  The best way to determine if breast reduction is likely to work for you is to have an in-person consultation with a surgeon who does a lot of this type of surgery. 

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 
After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain.

In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast reduction

Thank you for your pictures and question looks like you are a good candidate for a breast reduction,consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!

Am I an eligible candidate for a Breast Reduction?

If by "eligible" you mean -- insurance coverage- that can only be answered by your insurance company if you have one. Anatomically - you have profound ptosis-- or sagging. This can be corrected by a breast lift. If, in conjunction to perkiness you desire a reduction in volume- that is - smaller breasts, that can be achieved at the same time as the lift. 

I am sorry to hear about the problems you breasts cause.  A breast reduction/lift may be helpful to you; sometimes it is breast position ("drag" down on your shoulder/back areas) even more than breast size that may be problematic.  In other words, raising the breasts on your chest wall may be helpful.

Generally speaking, “typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts. Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.  This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations were performed.

You are correct in that it is ideal to perform elective breast surgery once patients have reached their long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction or just lift?

Hello, thanks for sharing your photos and case with us, in your case, you can chose betwen having a breast reduction with lift or just a lift, depend of what you want with your breast, in both case the technique will be perisreolar with JL scar, the difference will be in the quantity of tissue resection, have a nice day!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

Are You Eligible for a Breast Reduction Surgery?

Because your breasts are on the larger size and are droopy, I can see why you are having back pain and occasional rashes.  You would most probably benefit from a breast reduction procedure.   If you are asking if your insurance will pay for the procedure, you would need to see a plastic surgeon to be evaluated first.  

At that visit, the doctor will go over your history, examine you and measure you.   Most insurance companies use the Schnur Sliding Scale along with your BSA (Body Surface Area, which is calculated using your height and weight).   Your BSA is 1.65 m2 and so an insurance company would require that 505 gram of breast tissue be removed from each breast.   From your photos, that would probably get you down to a small B or even an A.   Without an exam, I can't say for certain if that would even be possible because  enough breast tissue with a blood supply needs to be maintained behind your nipple/areolas.  If you have insurance, find out what their requirements are before your doctor's visit.

Best Wishes!