How can I choose the right implants for me? (Photo)

Four months ago I had B.A. with Moderate Classic Mentor 255cc. After four months I decide to go bigger. I schedule for January and I cannot decide between Moderate Classic 360cc which is 13.6cm diameter and 3.3 projection and Moderate Plus 360cc which has almost the same diameter that I have right now and 3.9cm projection. What I want is they look a little closer and a little more volume. I attached three pictures, before B.A., now and the third how I would like them. Thanks for your attention.

Choosing the Right Implant Size

Here are some helpful guidelines. Usually if a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc. This is a general number, and of course there are other factors that will affect this. 

Other factors which contribute to the outcome are size, shape, and profile. 
The #profile is determined by the amount of #projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the #size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile. 
Another element to a satisfying result of your #augmentation is realistic #expectations.
Talk to your surgeon at greater length and be sure to view before and after pictures and reviews beforehand to gain more reassurance of the procedure.

How can I choose the right implants for me?

The accuracy of my plan for you is limited without the benefit of a personal examination. Also it would be helpful to have your weight, height, and chest width. With that in mind, it appears that your implants were placed a bit high and lateral. (To the outside). Most definitely your implants can be placed closer together, which will give you more cleavage. To achieve this, the pectoralis muscle fibers attaching to your ribs and sternum must be dissected just right, but they must not be dissected too much.

The limitations of getting implants medially (toward the cleavage) is lack of breast tissue near the sternum, a chest that is too wide, a rib cage that is more round in the front rather than flat. These all can cause your breast and nipples to point laterally and limit your cleavage.

Still, the implants are too high, and for a more round breast, the implants must be lowered, which will lower your inframammory crease. 

I would suggest a second consult with a physician that has access to Crisalix, which is 3D visualization, and this will help you see the possibilities of what you can look like with various implant sizes and profiles.

I expect your size will be 350 to 400 mL, but using "Sizers" in your PS's office and 3D imaging will give you a better idea of what you can expect.

Best of luck to you, and thank you for your question and photographs.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Implant selection

You need to be evaluated in person to determine which implant might be better for you. This is based upon your anatomy and goals.

Need in person exam

From your photographs, it would appear that the implant that was placed was not wide enough to narrow the cleavage. In these situations, I had very good success with an oval based Sientra textured silicone gel implant. These need to be measured from your chest wall. It's best that you have an in person exam to get this fitting just right. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

When to consider form stable implants

Most women have a round base to the breast, and round implants fit well. In your case, the base shape is oval, because the distance from nipple to the bottom edge of the breast is shorter than the distance to the sides. That means a larger diameter implant will have to go below the bottom edge, which could case a double bubble. If you go with an oval base form-stable implant ("gummy bear") then you can get the width you need for closer cleavage but not risk double bubble or having the implant too high.

Richard Baxter, MD

We can never choose a specific implant for a patient without a full consultation and exam. However, just from examining your photos it appears the implants you have are not nearly wide enough to fit your breast/chest dimensions. That dimensional aspect is the best way to choose a starting point for implant size and volume. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Generally speaking, patients undergoing revisionary breast surgery should understand that there may be many variables besides breast implant volume that come into play when determining optimal  breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery.  For example, adjustment of the breast implant capsules may be necessary; this adjustment may be a factor when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.    

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “a little more volume” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.