Curious to know if I could have a breast reduction done? (Photos)

Hi, 23 soon to be 24 years of age... I've always delt with big saggy breast which has always giving me some sort of pain or problem! Its always something wrong.. Cant run as fast because they hurt, hard to find a bathing suit because of how wide and saggy they are! Im emotionally drained and sick of being called Big Tittie Girl. Just need some sort of help. Currently on Medicaid and everyones been telling me Medicaid covers the procedure... Sizes d40-dd. My neck, shoulders as well back hurts

Breast reduction

Likely medicaid would cover this, but you can not smoke because that significantly increases wound complications.  You will have to find a medicaid provider.

Perfect candidate

You appear to be a perfect patient for a breast reduction.  This operation will be life changing for you. Seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to fully discuss the ins & outs of this surgery.  The biggest contra-indication would be smoking, so if you smoke then stop immediately!
All the best

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Curious to know if I could have a breast reduction done?

Thank you for your question.  If your large breasts are contributing to neck, back and shoulder pain, then it appears that you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction provided that you're not a smoker and your weight is stable.  I'm not sure if Medicaid would cover the operation however.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Could I have a breast reduction done?

Thank you for your question and photos.  No online reviewer can diagnose or make treatment recommendations without an examination.  Breast reduction surgery has one of the highest patient satisfaction scores. I have yet to have a patient who did not feel and look better after breast reduction. Start with a face to face consultation with a plastic surgeon who has experience in breast reductions. Your surgeon will perform a detailed history and physical and examination and can educate you on expectations. During this process they will assess your health and generate a letter to your insurance carrier for authorization of the procedure.  Surgeons who accept medicare will be able to know if you qualify and the details for moving forward.  Breast reduction scars usually heal quite well. Certainly no one can promise no scar but for most patients the trade-off is worth it. Always seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in certain instances can be Medically necessary . However, over the last several years insurance companies including Medicaid have taken it upon themselves to differentiate medical necessity  vs a "covered" expense. Although your situation may be medically necessary I would anticipate Medicaid - which is a tax payer subsidized health care plan- will probably not cover it. My suggestion is get a good job, with good health care coverage or start saving your money for this potentially very rewarding procedure.

Could you have breast reduction - yes!

Assuming you are medically healthy it would appear that you have large symptomatic breasts. The great majority of women such as yourself who would like smaller breasts find a breast reduction very helpful. 
Good luck.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Yes you can have a Breast reduction. But very few PSs accept medicaid insurance. So start calling PS office and ask if they accept this insurance.

Breast Reduction

The first thing you should do is contact your health insurance provider and request their criteria that they require for a person to meet in order for them to determine that a breast reduction meets "medical necessity" (meaning they will cover the procedure).

They should be able to provide this for you.  Each insurance provider may have a different set of criteria, but it usually imcludes a certain period of pain and other symptoms related to the oversized breasts that are unresponsive to a certain period of conservative/non-surgical treatments such as physical therapy, medications, weight loss, etc.  Once you find out the criteria, you can take steps to meet them such as seeking a referral to physical therapy and undergoing treatment.

Then, once you and/or your doctor feel that you have met the criteria, you should find a board certified plastic surgeon that is on your health insurance plan.

Most insurance plans also use a formula based on your height and weight that determines a certain amount of breast tissue that has to be removed at the surgery in order for them to cover the costs of the procedure.

Your plastic surgeon needs to examine you to see if a breast reduction would be appropriate based on this formula.  

Then if it appears that you meet all the criteria, your insurance should cover the procedure according to their contract with you- less deductibles, co-pays, etc.

Christopher W. Chase, MD
Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon