Why won't this area heal? Is there anything else I could do to help healing? (Photo)

I had a fleur de lis abdominoplasty on 11/21 and noticed on 12/5 a yellow area below my belly button. I saw my surgeon four days ago but he told me to continue washing it twice a day and putting coconut oil or cocoa butter. I called their office today and they said someone would call me back but no one did. I'll try again tomorrow but would like a few more opinions. There has never been any leaking but it hasn't made any progress in two weeks either. Thank you for your time! I appreciate it.

Healing

It looks like your wound healing has made significant progress over the last couple of weeks.  This small area should continue to heal given a little more time and good wound care.  Best of luck!

Healing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Healing after a tummy tuck

I would wait to speak to your surgeon. With a FDL abdominoplasty it is a lot of incisions to heal and sometimes delayed wound healing can occur. From the photos you have shown it looks like you have a small area where the incision opened up (dehiscence). It looks to have good tissue on the undersurface. As long as you are keeping it clean and applying to topical things your surgeon recommends it will hopefully continue to heal for you (I expect it would). As always if it gets red, hot, inflammed, or you notice pus coming from it let your surgeon know immediately. 

Surjit S. Rai, MD (Dallas Plastic Surgeon) 

Healing after a tummy tuck

Helping the Incision and Scar Heal

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Helping the Incision and Scar Heal

Wound issue

It looks like a fairly minor wound issue at this point, but you should see your surgeon and get appropriate wound care instructions.

Wound issue